A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 09-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Companion

Grading over the weekend?

I have a friend who was talking about having over 300 papers to grade. I was really shocked, because that seems like way too much.

I try to divide up when my different grades have things due so I don't receive a mountain of work to grade all at once. Of course, I still have other things I need to accomplish for my next week..

I was just curious how much grading other teachers might bring home for the weekends.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Aficionado

I think it all boils down to your choices. I know a handful of teachers that take items home to grade sometimes. This weekend I brought things home.

Most of my coworkers refuse to do it that much. Maybe once or twice a semester.

The English teachers at my school sometimes complain about it. However, the one teacher that complains about it the most always has her students in the library working without much input from her and she's busy surfing the net or on her phone. At least three times a week the kids are in there doing research or writing papers that she then has to turn around and grade. But she isn't doing any of that grading while they are working. So for her, it is definitely a time management issue.

I try to consider how I am going to grade something before I assign it. Sometimes that means multiple choice instead of free response.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Comrade

High School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by magistra44 View Post
I try to divide up when my different grades have things due so I don't receive a mountain of work to grade all at once. Of course, I still have other things I need to accomplish for my next week..

I was just curious how much grading other teachers might bring home for the weekends. Hearing such a high figure from her made me wonder if I was unusual or in the norm on this one.
I try to grade every single day to stay on top of it. I don't ask for any graded work until I am current (don't want it to pile up). I do have plenty of grades (way more than what the district requires) so I can manage my workload in this way. Also, I let the kids grade papers sometimes. I teach math so many assignments/quizzes/tests make this possible (i.e. no subjective or interpretive grading). the kids enjoy it - they like the immediate feedback. I rarely spend more than an hour (if that) on the weekends grading. most of my weekend time is on planning. However I do work until 5-6 pm every day and get to school at 7. I prefer to put in the hours during the week. My kids can see their grades on line and I strive to have all grades posted within 24 hours. I only have 100 kids in my 6 classes fyi.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Connoisseur

GED & Science Teacher
I streamline what I grade. I don't need a grade each day. Formative assessments are discussed in class and I post answer keys online. I randomly collect these, but mostly only grade longer activities, quizzes, and tests. I end up with about 10 grades per 9 weeks-- a good mixture of activities and assessments.

I teach seniors, so I can expect them to check their work themselves.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Connoisseur

GED & Science Teacher
Also: I write very few comments on papers. Most kids bin their work, so why waste my time?

If an assignment needs more feedback, I do mini conferences ad I hand back papers. I make sure kids have independent work for 15-20 minutes on the days I do this. It works well.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
Mind you, I have 11 kids basically doing 11 different things, but I try to follow this rule: One piece of class work, one piece of homework, and one formal assessment per week. For each subject. (They get more homework than that, but I only "count" one day and they never know which day I'm going to pick. )
Old 09-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Virtuoso

MICHIGAN
6th Grade Math/SS
I had a lot going on this week, so I have at least 15 sets of papers to grade this weekend. So 390+ papers to grade.

I usually stay on top of it better during the week. But I had staff development 4 mornings before school, I work PT and I had to work 2 days after school, and I had meetings that lasted until 5:30 2 days after school. Monday was my only morning and afternoon I had free. I was caught up then. *sigh*
Old 09-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I don't grade everything, in fact I make a point to only grade tests, quizzes, or true individual assignments where kids had no extra help and didn't work with a partner or group. I don't think the latter assignments are truly reflective of their mastery of the topic (if they had help or worked with a partner or group), so I just put a check mark on them. Homework is put into the grade book, but they get full points for completion since students have varying levels of support at home, and there are very few points given for homework. I take some grading home on the weekend, but not a ton. Most of my weekend work is planning.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Companion

I don't grade every assignment. I never bring papers home to grade on the weekends. I hate grading. I don't mind working on lessons on the weekend but never grading.

I grade during my planning period. Wednesdays are SSR in my English classes and I pass out papers and grade then. Last Wednesday I was actually caught up and I passed out papers and then I read my book.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I have 2 classes worth of quizzes to grade-- about 80 papers. I should be able to crank them out in about half an hour tonight. (My last 2 classes of the day this year are Honors classes. They tend to get the questions right, which makes the grading go faster. My first couple of classes took a bit longer.)

They're over a weekend because I chose to quiz on a Friday, not because I specifically wanted it that way. (Thursday we had short periods, and I wanted to get the quiz in before the weekend.)

Tags
grading, weekend