A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 09-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Rookie

typical development and atypical development

I am supposed to prepare a workshop for the teachers in an EC program about typical and atypical development for infants and toddlers. what are some ways that i can use to make this an enjoyable yet an engaging workshop.

any ideas and resources would be appreciated

Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
You must have some expertise in this area to have been chosen as a presenter. What have you already planned?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Rookie

using developmental checklists like the one in HELP and observing a group of children, watching a video clips and talk about them. I am still preparing and i need more ideas?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
Break them into small groups with a large cutout of a baby or toddler and have them list what they think is typical development for ____ age and then atypical or characteristics that would be worrisome. Have them come back to share these before you do your presentation.

Or do a prairie fire - ask a quick question and pass a baby around - they have to give an answer when they get the baby.

Do a 4 corners - ask a multiple choice question and they go to the corner they think is the anwer.

Print out the checklists for different ages and they have to try to sort them into the correct age.

Fill the diaper - have them list developmental problems they have observed on brown paper and put them in the diaper for you to pull out and discuss (just thought about this one - haven't done it before but it sounds fun).

Grafitti wall - to check for understanding - have them list 3 things they learned on a big piece of butcher paper.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
Another fun thing might be to have baby dolls/child dolls in different areas. Even pictures of these ages of child. Then have snippets of developmental charts, just the snippets, no identifiable indicators as to the chart of origin. Have the attendees try to place the snippet with the right doll/pic. They might be amazed at the discrepancies....since they are "on the front lines" so to speak.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
awwww, scmom....you beat me to the punch!

Tags
atypical, development, typical