A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:57 PM
Rookie

California
Help! Confused about CSET prep books!

Hi all,
I've been studying for the CSET for a week now, and because I tend to overdo things, I bought three prep books for the CSET- and have noticed they all have slightly different information in them - but information that could be important on the day of the CSET test. Is there a "best" prep book out there? I have one that has a LOT of excellent content called Beating the CSET! but it has no practice tests. I have a book by REA called The Best Teacher's Test Preparation for the CSET Multiple Subjects - I think this is a terrible book personally, but it has some practice tests. (I have a Master's degree in Art History and know quite a bit about history but this book is awful). Then I bought Cliff's CSET book. And of course I'm reading the Hirsch books, using the Internet and some other texts. I feel totally overwhelmed as to what sources I should really focus on. Anybody have first-hand experience they'd care to share with me? I'm desperate!

Old 01-17-2006, 07:10 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Nope: there's no one best prep book. Best is what's best for you the user, and the only way to tell that is to sit down with the book and schmooze for a while before buying.

Or buy (or otherwise acquire) them all, as you seem to have done...

If material shows up in more than one of the prep books you've got, chances are fairly good that it will show up on your version of the CSET, though possibly (or in some cases probably) not in quite the form that's in the book. If specific material shows up in ALL the resources you've got, the chances of it appearing on CSET - again, possibly in somewhat altered form - are excellent.

Is there a particular domain you're most concerned about? From your background I'd guess you'll do well on Subtest I, which is, after all, half history (and most of the rest is making sense in ways that Boosalis' Beating...! book, which is not always spot on, is mostly fairly good at); you'll be in fine shape for Subtest III if you also know a little about reading music and if your knowledge of either PE or Human Development is decent-ish. How you do on Subtest II may depend on what your undergrad college made you do by way of general ed, but if you've been following the threads here and the discussions are making sense, your chances are quite good.

If you've got specific questions about content, ask away!

Tags
books, confused, cset, prep