A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 08-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Habitué

Nice new teacher "gift"

I am a middle school special ed teacher, but I wanted to get some ideas on what sort of things I could purchase for my son's second grade teacher. I plan on going to Sam's Club this weekend to purchase supplies for myself. She's a brand new teacher, and has moved to NC from Ohio. I just want to help her out a little.

What are some things that are must-haves for elementary teachers? For example, are Kleenex or dry-erase markers more important? I plan on spending about $20.

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
So, you're thinking mainly classroom supplies, correct? Dry-erase markers are always great! They run out so quickly, and are a big expense if you need to replace them often. I had a wishlist up at Open House, and it contained 3 items:
-Colored or patterned Duck Tape (for book binding)
-Disinfecting wipes
-Packaging tape (for hanging things on the wall)

I also go through a lot of post-it notes. I hope that helps a bit. How nice of you to think of her!
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Get a basket from the Dollar Store..then go in the travel sized item aisle of your local BB&B or drug store..get hand cream, a nail file, a small lint roller, etc...some mints, tea bags, chocolate.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
One more thing I just thought of: a few years ago, a parent gave me a "survival guide" on the first day of school. I thought it was sweet and thoughtful! I can't remember everything, but I do remember that it contained gum, chocolate, granola bars, and a gift card to Starbucks. It was a nice little stash to have on hand.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
paper... an Office Depot gift card

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Phenom

Midwest
Baby wipes are great to have on hand for messy hands or to wipe desks down especially during cold/flu season or pink eye season...LOL (I taught 1st and had a major pink eye break out).

Love the idea of dry erase markers...it's always fun to have different colors as well!!! (You may find those at like a Target for cheaper than like Sam's club). Different sized dry erase markers are great.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
I would want: Expo markers, shipping tape, Ticonderoga pencils, tissues, or hand sanitizer. I spent most of my money on those things.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Phenom

Midwest
Four Square...I was thinking hand sanitizer...but I know some schools don't allow it...

I always appreciated when parents sent in tissues...especially during cold/flu season...nothing like blowing your nose on a 1 ply sheet that's like paper and everything goes through!!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 AM
Newcomer

Shipping tapes and markers.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
I would want a little hand sanitizer just for me, some hand lotion, a small bag of Kisses or hard candies, a small coffee gift card, maybe a nice coffee mug I could keep at school, and - if they're allowed - a little desk plant.

Tags
gift, nice, teacher