A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 08-11-2002, 09:57 PM

Name tags ideas

Help, I am a new preschool teacher and have all 3 year olds in my class. I am use to having 5,4 and 3 year olds together in a class. I need some ideas for name tags to help children identify their names. Such as: Do I use all the same pattern? Do I use a diffferent sticker on each name tag? Do I use different shapes? Let me know some of your ideas.

Thank you,

Brenda

Old 08-11-2002, 10:26 PM
pmts02

I would use all the same name tags.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:11 AM

Have you tried name tags with their picture on it?
Old 08-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Comrade

Thumbs up

I would definitely use symbols or shapes (sun, moon, flower, fish, etc...). I have my students name tags on the table covered with contact paper. They all have a symbol (from Ellison Machine), because my younger ones are not ready to recognize their name, but need to know their spot. I've found that the ones that are ready will start to recognize name even if one a symbol. I have written their names on a sentence strip (with no symbol) and put in art center. That way anyone who wants to practice tracing or writing their name can find theirs and do so.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:18 AM
pmts02

I WOULD USE THE SAME NAME TAGS FOR ALL OF THEM.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:55 PM
Cohort

Collingswood, NJ
Assistant Principal
nametags

I would use two or three different name tags that go along with the central theme of your classroom. For example, in my KG class my room theme is under the sea. I will be using an octopus, a starfish, and a fish.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:37 PM
Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Thumbs up name tags/attendance chart

I use all teddy bears, but 5 different colors. I try not to put names that begin with the same letter on the same color (i.e., I'd put "Chris" on blue and "Casey" on yellow. The teddy bears match the bears over their back pack hooks....
I have hooks for back packs in my room (no cubbies ) . Over each hook I velcro a teddy bear with a child's name on it. When they come in each morning they move their teddy bear to a chart that tells us "Who is here today?" The during morning line time (circle time) we use the teddy bears to talk about who is here and who is not, the colors of the teddy bears of the people who are not here, and the names of the people who are not here. Pretty soon the children recognize each others' names as well as their own.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Devotee

Florida
I have always used different die cut shapes with their name. The name is on sentence strip attached to the die cut shape. The same die cut with their names on it are in their cubbies. They soon start recognizing their names and those of classmates quite easily.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:14 PM

Hey, aren't three year olds great? they will very quickly let you know when they are ready to identify their own name in regular black print... in the meantime, giving them clues like stickers or different coloured cards or print is an excellent way to boast their confidence in pre-reading skills. a few weeks of practise and they will be ready for a change-- maybe a different sticker, ect. eventually working toward just plain old black print --a new challenge each time but keeping with the goal of boosting confidence along the way. good luck and have fun!
Old 08-12-2002, 07:21 PM
Rookie

hi again forgot to log in first.. that last reply was from me.. hope it helps.

Tags
ideas, tags