A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Rookie

Texas
Snack Letter to Parents

How do you do snacks in your classroom? In the past I have had each child bring their own snack everyday. I am thinking about doing a community snack this year and having each child bring a snack for everyone once per month. What is your opinion on individual vs community snacks?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Comrade

Preschool Teacher
I post a calendar with a snack listed for each day on my parent info board. Each parent picks one day (or more if needed) and writes their name on the day they picked. They bring the listed snack (enough for the whole class) in the morning of their day. If parents don't sign up, we assign them days.

Also, for children with allergies- the parent is responsible for bringing their child's snack if they are unable to eat what is posted on the calendar.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Aficionado

Michigan
I've always have had students bring in their own snacks. If they don't bring one then they don't have one.

When my own kids were in kindergarten we paid a supply fee & the teacher supplied the snacks. As a parent of a child with a food allergy I had to work very closely with her & supply my son's snacks myself.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I've never had snacks. My favorite snack idea was to have a snack station available during work stations/centers, the kids could choose to go there during stations, or not. The teacher kept it very simple, they had a choice of 3 saltines or 5 animal crackers. The boys brought saltines and the girls brought animal crackers. When one got low, she sent home a note too all the boys or girls and then kept a list of who brought some and the next time only sent it to the parents that hadn't sent it the last time.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
At one of the preschools I worked at in CA, we offered snacks as a Center, and it worked GREAT! I kept an eye out on it though, so the ones whose eyes were bigger than their stomachs; were kept in check.
Rebel1
Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Rookie

Texas
I like the idea of a snack center. I will be teaching life skills so I think that would be good daily practice.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Guru

I don't like the idea of parents being required to supply snacks to an entire classroom once a month. Just...doesn't sit well with me.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Rookie

Texas
How do you do snacks or do you not have snacks? I tried supplying them myself one year, but it got very expensive.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:34 AM
Multitudinous

I think kids should bring their own snacks.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 AM
Comrade

Preschool Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
I don't like the idea of parents being required to supply snacks to an entire classroom once a month. Just...doesn't sit well with me.
I should of mentioned in my post, that I work in a private school, where it is required for parents to bring in snacks as part of their tuition. I know the public school district near me, the teachers provide snacks if they choose to do snack time.

Tags
first day of school, letter, parents, snack, snacks, special education