A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 07-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Newcomer

teaching 2 and 3 year olds

Hi! I am about to take a 2 and 3 year old preschool in August. I am absolutely petrified and still trying to wrap my head around what goes on in a 2 and 3 year old classroom. What happens daily, especially in the first few weeks? I've had a look at the Teaching 2 and 3 olds blog and she has reassured me somewhat but I still would like to hear more from you.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:21 AM
Cohort

Texas
Preschool Teacher
Are they grouped together the entire day or do you have 2's at one time and 3's at another? Also, how long is your day?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Comrade

Preschool Teacher
This year I am teaching just 3's but last year I had a mixed 2/3's class. Most of the 2 year olds were 3 by October, so I ran a 3 year old curriculum in room. Here is my daily schedule (my playground and music/spanish class times are set and cannot be changed):

9am-9:10- Arrival/Welcome Activity (activities on the tables)
9:10-9:30-Circle Time
9:30-10- Spanish or Music Class (alternate weeks)
10-1030- playground
1030-1040- Bathroom/Wash Hands/Water
1040-11- Snack
11-1145- I do open centers (assistant supervises) and I call children for small group science/math and art.
11:45-12- Story Time/Music and Movement/Closing Circle
12- Dismissal

The first few weeks will be an adjustment stage, if they are not in daycare, it will be a new experience for them. Some will cry, some won't. In my experience the crying will lessen a little everyday until they come in smiling around week 2 or 3. You will be able to adapt your schedule and curriculum when you get to know their personalities and abilities.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Tags
olds, teaching, year