A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Aficionado

Divergent - The Factionless - possible SPOILER

I just started Divergent. Haven't read very far yet. I know some schools are using this as required reading. I was shocked at the initial description of the Factionless and their roles in society.

My initial impression is that those who struggle in school and are required to read this book may very easily be turned off within the first few chapters with the description of the Factionless and their roles in society. I almost put the book down because our society does see those with the same roles in society as it was described in Divergent. I can't see how a struggling student that knows s/he is destined for one of these roles in our society will want to continue reading a book where they have been deemed less worthy. But then again, our HS wants everyone to go to college!

I'm hoping that as the book comes along, attitudes would change becaues the Factionless in our society play a critical role in keeping our communities functioning, yet they are often seen as lesser and treated so.

Keeping an open mind and hoping the Factionless actually get some respect.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Fanatic

Louisiana
Well, as you learn more about the process, you begin to see the Factionless differently. I'm waiting for my copy of the second book to come in, and I'm hoping more goes on with the Factionless then.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
I think you'll change your mind as the series goes on...although I think a lot of how it's all resolved will depend on the so far unpublished 3rd book. I'm definitely eager to see how it turns out!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Aficionado

I may not have made my point well enough. I actually see people with the jobs the factionless take as crutial to our society and respect them as much as a physician. Why, they are often tough jobs and if someone has great work ethic, shows up, and does a good job, that is as important to me as any job that requires further education.

My point was a student reading the description of the factionless knowing full well they are probably headed toward that for their future, may not want to continue reading any further, particularly if they struggle to read and hate to read in the first place. Nothing like the book you are reading to confirm what most of society and schools these days are telling kids. You need to go to college to be anything. I was just thinking what the kids that are require to read this book must think when they read that part and don't want to be doing it in the first place.

Now, I know that it probably will go somewhere and will most likely improve the view of the factionless because it is rare to find a book that would do otherwise. But I'm thinking of this from a struggling student's POV.

Tags
divergent, factionless, spoiler