A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 01-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Comrade

Pre-K
orton-gillingham

What do you know about the orton-gillingham method of teaching reading?

I went to their website but it does not tell me what I want to know.

Have you ever used it? Are you currently using it?
Please give pro and cons.

Would it be appropriate for Pre-K?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
I have just taken a 4 hour workshop on the Orton-Gillingham reading program. It uses a multi-sensory approach to teaching reading. It uses a 3-part drill which includes, visual, auditory/kinesthetic and blending. There is also has a vowel intensive portion as part of the drills.

It can be successful in both general ed. and special ed. classroom and for working with students reading at the kindergarten through third grade level. You will probably be able to make modifications to the program for your preschool students. I think that they may enjoy the letter recognition along with the auditory/kinesthetic drills.

One book they recommended getting to use with the program is: Recipe for Reading by Nina Trop. This book provides the sequence to develop reading and writing through direct instruction and is to be used with the program.

There was some teachers at my workshop who had been using the program for many years, just love it. They say that they have experienced success with all of their students.

I am hoping to introduce the program to my students next year (I do not have enough money left over to buy the program this year). I love the multi-sensory approach it takes to teach reading and I also like that fact that you do not have to be a brain surgeon to use it and it also comes with workbooks that my students can use independently, as I will most likely work with my students in small groups (dependent on their level).

I was given this website to order the kit www.eps.com. I don't remember how much information they provide about the program.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Devotee

USA
I am taking the on-line course on Orton-Gillingham. I found this information on on-line couse introduction and thought it would be helpful for you.

Dyslexia: An Introduction to the Orton-Gillingham Approach

Introduction: About this Course

Dyslexia: An Introduction to the Orton-Gillingham Approach is appropriate for teachers who have students who are experiencing difficulty learning to read and write. The course is also appropriate for parents of children with dyslexia, individuals with dyslexia who wish to gain an understanding of their learning differences, and tutors and teachers who wish to learn about this multisensory teaching approach.

This course provides an introduction to the Orton-Gillingham approach. The course may be considered a stepping stone to the advanced study and training required for certification in this teaching approach. At the conclusion of the ten-hour course, participants are eligible for membership in the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators (AOGPE) at the Subscriber level.

The various lessons in this course are presented by fellows of the AOGPE, who are certified instructors of the Orton-Gillingham approach. Each lesson introduces information that Orton-Gillingham practitioners need to understand in order to design instruction that is effective, diagnostic, and prescriptive. The course introduces three strands that serve as the basis for all Orton-Gillingham instruction:

Learning characteristics of the individual with dyslexia.
Patterns, structure, and history of the English language.
Principles of the multisensory Orton-Gillingham approach.

The Orton-Gillingham Approach
The Orton-Gillingham approach is the result of the collaboration between Samuel Torrey Orton, a remarkable neuropsychiatrist, and Anna Gillingham, a gifted educator and psychologist. The approach is designed to enable individuals with dyslexia to cope with the symbols of language.

The Orton-Gillingham approach is structured, sequential, cumulative, and phonetically based. It is diagnostic and prescriptive, designed for a particular individual at a specific point in his or her learning. An emphasis on step-by-step skill development is essential to ensure both early success and lasting results. This approach is effective with students of all ages (elementary through adult) and can be applied in one-on-one, small group, or classroom settings.

The Orton-Gillingham philosophy is based on an understanding of the nature of human language, and of the language-learning processes in individuals. The philosophy is also rooted in knowledge of psychology and the structure of the human brain, which points to the logic of a multisensory approach to teaching language. In multisensory teaching, auditory, visual, and kinesthetic patterns reinforce one another for optimal learning. Involvement of multiple senses provides flexibility for accommodating the strengths and weaknesses of individual learning differences.

Have you ever heard of Project Read? These is a phonics based program that can be used starting in K. You may also want to look at the website from Project Read too. Here it is www.projectread.com
Old 01-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Maven

U.S.A.
Preschool Teacher
I have an unusually smart Preschool class this year. They seem ready to learn some reading. How should I go about it, without having to buy special programs. What would you recommend?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Phenom

Sp. Ed. Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy Teacher
IHow should I go about it, without having to buy special programs. What would you recommend?
I have a K-2 autism class and I do not have a reading program. I am hoping to by the Orton-Gillingham program next year but what do I do now?! I did a lot of research over my winter break and found a book (only $29.10 inclu. S&H - I got a discount for having it delivered to my school). It is called, Kid Writing - A Systematic Approach to Phonics, Journals, and Writing Workshop, 2nd Ed.. (www.kidwriting.com) I am only on the second chapter but I joined the kidwriting group on yahoo and read a lot of good things about it. The Kid Writing program is developed to start the first day of kindergarten, so for nonreaders. They introduced a balanced early literacy program. They do belief in an at-home reading program.

The Kid Writing program has both a balanced reading program (reading to children, reading with children and reading by children) and also a balanced writing program (writing to/for children, writing with children, writing by children).

But, like I said I have just read 2 chapters and it will most likely take me a week or so to finish reading it and maybe 2 weeks before I introduce it in my class. I do like what I have read so far though and I will be using what I have learned so far.

Tags
ortongillingham