A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Cohort

Alaska
Kindergarten Teacher
Mischievous little girl

I had a little girl this year who tested me ALL year. I followed my behavior plan to the T (1: time out, 2: longer time out, 3: principal)

She was a bright, sweet kid, never mean, but thought she was cute and goofy when she broke little rules and went off task. Was in time out 3 or 4 times a day at least. She hated the punishment and sometimes would cry and cry. Baby of the family and spoiled at home (no discipline at all).

Next year I'm getting her cousin, also baby of the family, who the preschool teacher tells me is twice as bad in the same way.

Ideas on how to handle this one?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
Read Fred Jones the Tools for Teaching. She is getting exactly what she wants. YOUR ATTENTION. She's also winning because she's getting more of it than her classmates. This girl is described in the book.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAttend View Post
Read Fred Jones the Tools for Teaching. She is getting exactly what she wants. YOUR ATTENTION. She's also winning because she's getting more of it than her classmates. This girl is described in the book.
This assumes she's trying to get attention, which you'd only know by doing a more thorough assessment. This is the problem with packaged curricula - it's too cookbook and attempts to treat all kids the same.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by puff5655 View Post
I had a little girl this year who tested me ALL year. I followed my behavior plan to the T (1: time out, 2: longer time out, 3: principal)

She was a bright, sweet kid, never mean, but thought she was cute and goofy when she broke little rules and went off task. Was in time out 3 or 4 times a day at least. She hated the punishment and sometimes would cry and cry. Baby of the family and spoiled at home (no discipline at all).

Next year I'm getting her cousin, also baby of the family, who the preschool teacher tells me is twice as bad in the same way.

Ideas on how to handle this one?
The first step is to a thorough assessment of the incoming child, then to build a dynamic behavior plan around that assessment. When I say dynamic, I mean that it will change as you try strategies and see what works and what doesn't. With your plan this year, once you gave it time to work and it didn't, it probably would have been a good idea to change things up try something different.

I would wait until the child starts in your room, then see very specifically what issues arise. From there, start to understand more about the context of those behaviors (what sets them off, how peers/adults respond to them, what she's trying to get or avoid with those behaviors, etc.). Once you have a sense of what's happening, identify strategies to address each of the issues, then see how the plan works. If the behaviors continue after a reasonable amount of time, reassess and re-identify strategies.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEd View Post
This assumes she's trying to get attention, which you'd only know by doing a more thorough assessment. This is the problem with packaged curricula - it's too cookbook and attempts to treat all kids the same.
I was working under the theory stated by the OP that this child and her cousin were "babies".
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I find that many times in this situation, praising and rewarding the students following directions really helps. Can you build this up? Maybe start the year by trying to catch and praise all the good things that she is doing and ignoring the cute/goofying off behaviors.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAttend View Post
I was working under the theory stated by the OP that this child and her cousin were "babies".
I'm not sure that being the youngest of siblings means all behavior is attention-seeking.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Cohort

Alaska
Kindergarten Teacher
Appreciate all the advice and mopar, thanks I think yours has been the most helpful. I need to develop some sort of reminder system to myself so that I don't forget to keep doing that. The one I had this year LOVED the positive attention. "Wow, you are being such a good listener today!" made her really smile.

I shouldn't say my system didn't work at all- she was a little better by the end of the year. I'm hesitant to buy any more behavior mgmt books..I already have so many.

EdEd.. I know it's attention seeking (spoiled and lacking discipline at home) behavior.. I already know the new kid a little bit. What I need is ideas on solutions.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdEd View Post
I'm not sure that being the youngest of siblings means all behavior is attention-seeking.
And when you hear hoofs think horses not zebras.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
I had one this year and she has turned into "MY FAV" child!
She tested me in every way possible. I ignored the negative stuff and started putting the ball back in her court. I made her do the odd jobs around the classroom; sweep the floor, give out napkins, cups for snacks or lunch, and carry the emergency backpack outside, or any little job that I needed done. I kept her so busy that she barely had time to act UP!
She did not want to write her name or do her paperwork, yet I still gave her the work and had her Mom take it as homework. She is about to go to K and she now writes her name beautifully and writes her numbers and letters like she had never done before! She keeps telling her Mom that she needs me to move to the Kindergarten class and be her teacher. I did the time out thingy with her at first and it was a joke. I had her color when she refused to do what I asked her to do, plus the parents kept sending coloring books, and that was her cop out. (She won our Coloring Contest we had!) Anyway, she has turned out to be my angel. When the other kids acted up, and I raised my voice, she would come over, place her arms around me and say, "It's okay. You're going to be alright. You're going to be fine." What a turn around! Her parents keep thanking me and giving me gifts, etc. She made it possible for me to see that all it takes is time to make a child feel better about his/her self; make them feel important, and that their being there, to help out counts. I usually sing while I do my work, or while the children are doing stuff, and now she sings too, and she is the life of the party. All the boys want to hang out with her now. She cracks me up with what she says. One day I asked her to tell the children to be quiet. Her response, "Why? You're the teacher. You tell them. That's your job!"
Redirecting can do wonders AND I am going to use it a lot because my next Pre-K group is going to have 3 like her.
Good luck,
Rebel1

Tags
girl, mischievous