A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
Sewing Machine?

If it hadn't been raining this afternoon, I would have thrown mine straight in the trash.

I have a Singer 6038 that I bought about 9 or 10 years ago. We got off to a rough start (wrong bobbin size printed in the manual); it worked ok for about 2 years, and ever since... we just fight. We fight about tension, stitch length (it doesn't "do" 3 anymore); it eats fabric if you start too close to the edge; it will NOT sew a straight line (I feel like I'm constantly wresting fabric into place)... I spend more time fixing and adjusting it than I do sewing. Sewing is supposed to be relaxing and fun.

I've brought it into a repair shop, thinking it just needed a tune-up. The guy told me to buy a new machine - that I'd be wasting my money trying to fix it.

So... tell me: what's your machine? What should I be looking for? Ideally, I want to quilt and sew clothes. I'm looking at this one: Brother CS6000i but that one has bad reviews about tension issues, too. I'm open to suggestions and actually quite desperate.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Fanatic

Pennsylvania
High School Teacher
I have this one http://www.amazon.com/Brother-XL-375..._rd_i=13380691 which looks like it might be the less-fancy model to yours. I like it, but I am a completely novice sewer. That said, it's very easy to use and I haven't had any problems with it, which is good because I wouldn't know how to fix them. lol.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:32 PM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
I have Berninas, both sewing and embroidery. Love them!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
I have a Pfaff, but I have apparently forgotten how to use it. I tried zig-zagging a raw hem and it's a snarled mess. I'm thinking it needs to go in for a tune-up, because I haven't used it in...years.

I also have my mother's 50-year-old Pfaff that's built like a tank and makes the nicest straight stitch you ever saw. And I wish I had never traded in my old Kenmore Cam-O-Matic from the 70's. The older machines were solid!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:22 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
I have had two basic Singer models. I had one for 20-something years, and it started having issues that you describe with yours. I took it to the repair place, and they wanted me to pay them $85 to tell me what was wrong with it. I just bought a new one for $89.

I do quite a bit of sewing, and a basic machine does everything I need it to do.

I am a fan of Singer. I also have an antique pedal machine that still works, and my mom has one that's 40+ years old and still works perfectly.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:27 AM
Enthusiast

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
Thanks for the suggestions! I learned on an old Singer my mom was given as a wedding gift - that thing was a TANK until the motor finally died.

I think I'm going with this one - Singer 4411 Heavy Duty. I really, really just want a machine that will sew a straight line without wrestling and can handling free-motion quilting and jean alterations.

ETA: Even better, my walking foot, 1/4 inch foot, and darning foot fit this machine - score!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
I bought a Sears Kenmore machine 26 years ago and I still like it. I grew up with a Kenmore so I was used to it. It's a very basic machine (automatic buttonholer but not much else). I used to sew a lot but rarely use it now so I can't justify an update to the electronic models.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
I have a Bernina activa that I just love!!! I also bought a Bernette serger which I never got working (but also never put in much effort). My mom has had her Bernina sewing machine and serger for over 20 years and they still run great!!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Cohort

I have this one and I love it!
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-SE400-.../dp/B003AVMZA4

I also have this one, which worked well until I started using heavier material and then the repair shop didn't fix it properly. Tension is all off and the needles keep breaking.
http://www.amazon.com/Janome-7330-Ma.../dp/B001GTX2U4
Old 06-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Land of Sunshine
MS Language Arts
Holy crap. I bought the Singer 4411. Delivered today. I'm zipping through a quilt that has been sitting neglected since August. No bouncing, no wrestling, tension is perfect. If I keep this up, it'll be finished tomorrow!

Tags
machine, sewing