A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Rookie

Wisconsin
Reading Teacher
Freaking hard to land a job in WI!

UGh! I have to vent. I used to be the "it" girl about 5 years ago. I could ace an interview and expect the job offer. I have never been so competitive in my LIFE!
I taught in an urban setting in WI for three years as a reading teacher , I was laid off in Feb(private school going under) I've been networking, getting tips, getting great references, subbing in schools EVERYTHING!!
I've been trying to get a job in the local smallish town area instead of driving an hour to work in the city
I applied for over 60 + jobs, have had 3 interviews .. all with NO offers. I've asked for feedback and it's been " you were lovely, we really liked you, the other candidate knew the program".. or.. "the other candidate was internal" or "we decided not to hire anyone" grrrrr!!! This is so HARD!!!! Has teaching always this competitive? Or do I really need to be a cousin of someone or something. i feel like such an outsider right now. Wondering if I'll be subbing for 30+years. Good Lord.....
I know I don't smell, offend etc. because I've gotten so many coaching tips for interviews.
I need a hard-luck-turned-around-story....

Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Novice

Another Wisconsinite! I know you came here to vent, but I'm in the same boat you are. Applied to 50+ districts all over the state, even inner-city schools, and have gotten a few interviews but not yet hired (no word from principals either, so I don't know exactly why they chose not to hire me...). Would you mind giving me some advice (I'm not a reading teacher, so we aren't in competition with each other )

People here talk about emailing principals directly or dropping off packets. With WECAN, I've been afraid to do so b/c so many districts say "no paper copies, no emails, etc. What do you do about this?

Also, do you know if the hiring season is just starting or is it winding down (aka should I start looking for substitute positions soon?)

Thanks and best of luck to you. I hope we both find something...
Old 06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Rookie

Wisconsin
Reading Teacher
You bet I can help... are you a new teacher? The season is definitely not over, it's not over until Sept 1.
Have you subbed anywhere yet? And where exactly are you? I have a few ideas to give the edge that I used.
For your local schools find some excuse to meet the principals. I drop off a "brochure" double sided color copy of the highlights of my portfolio and drop it off, hoping to run into the principal. "Saying here is some additional info that might be helpful to you", etc. about 1-2 days after cut off date.
I also sometimes bring a prezi with ideas (it impressed principal enough to call m other jobs I applied for and told them to interview me). Nice but still no job,.Not sure I can help you either....
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 PM
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iteachreadingjo View Post
You bet I can help... are you a new teacher? The season is definitely not over, it's not over until Sept 1.
Have you subbed anywhere yet? And where exactly are you? I have a few ideas to give the edge that I used.
For your local schools find some excuse to meet the principals. I drop off a "brochure" double sided color copy of the highlights of my portfolio and drop it off, hoping to run into the principal. "Saying here is some additional info that might be helpful to you", etc. about 1-2 days after cut off date.
I also sometimes bring a prezi with ideas (it impressed principal enough to call m other jobs I applied for and told them to interview me). Nice but still no job,.Not sure I can help you either....
Those are great ideas! I just finished my student teaching in Milwaukee, so no subbing and basically no experience. I'm in the southeast but have been applying everywhere (except the northwoodsish places ) I like your brochure/portfolio idea - I'll have to try it a few times and see what happens. Glad to hear things arent really over yet. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Comrade

You picked a bad career, and there are few or no jobs. The few places that may have openings are lousy districts or bad states where teacher protections are virtually gone.

Because of a glut of starry-eyed idealists, teaching has ALWAYS been oversaturated with applicants. There has never been a shortage and will never be a shortage until teaching is knocked down to a minimum wage job with no benefits. That is where the "profession" is headed because teachers and would-be teachers have their heads in the sand and don't look at what is going on all over the country.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Rookie

Wisconsin
Reading Teacher
yup. agreed. RtI is helping however, I am very qualified as an interventionist. Worst case, I sub in a place then they fall in love with me
Old 06-07-2012, 03:02 PM
Rookie

Wisconsin
Reading Teacher
Do you really think teaching has always been over-saturated?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Rookie

Wisconsin/Minnesota
Job Seeker-Special Education
I am also from Wisconsin!! I know exactly how you feel. This is my third year of looking for a teaching position. I am certified in Special Education. Whenever I tell anyone that I am looking for a Special Education teaching job, I always get a reply with, 'you should be able to get into a school district easily'. I only wish it was that simple. In the past two years I have gained more experience through LTS positions and substituting. However, I get the same reply as you after interviewing that I still do not have enough experience. It is sooooo frustrating. I want to work in the education field so bad, but honestly I just do not know how much more I can take. When is it time to just quit and look into a different profession? Well, anyway you are not alone and I wish you all the best in your search for a job.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
You picked a bad career, and there are few or no jobs. The few places that may have openings are lousy districts or bad states where teacher protections are virtually gone.

Because of a glut of starry-eyed idealists, teaching has ALWAYS been oversaturated with applicants. There has never been a shortage and will never be a shortage until teaching is knocked down to a minimum wage job with no benefits. That is where the "profession" is headed because teachers and would-be teachers have their heads in the sand and don't look at what is going on all over the country.
The fact that your experiences have been bad does NOT mean that the entire profession is as bad as you continually imply. You chose that same career. You were once one of those starry eyed idealists. Your head was once in that same sand and you were one of those who didn't look at what was going on all over the country. Yet you remain in teaching, and I'm afraid I don't understand why. Worse yet, you continually insult others who are making the same choices you yourself made.

Apparently you've had some bad breaks, and I'm sorry about that. My experiences have been vastly different. But it's hard on those of us who love our profession to read your continual insults on teachers and teaching.

Yes, there are far more applicants than openings in most parts of the country. And yes, that's been the case for decades in many parts of the country. Yet most of us here have found jobs within that time period, including you. A decent number of AtoZ members have already secured jobs for next year, with more coming in each week. As of right now, it's 23 of our members who were looking and have found a job, with a number waiting on interview results. So someone is getting those jobs... the trick is to be that "someone."
Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Rookie

Wisconsin
Reading Teacher
Wanted to give an update. 5 interviews and today I finally got an offer. I have been interviewing since March, so that's been 3 1/2 months in one of the roughest markets in the nation.. not bad...

Tags
freaking, hard, job, land