A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 06-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Novice

FL
Long Term Substitute Teacher Question

Hi guys,

The principal of where I have applied as a teacher had contacted me and told me that he wants to interview me as a long term substitute teacher for a 3d class. I am a bit wary because I was told that I am not temporarily replacing any teacher as they don't have any teacher teaching 3d right now. Isn't it, in order to hire a substitute teacher, a permanent teacher must have been there first?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Groupie

In my district, a long term sub is usually hired for the whole year if a teacher has NOT been hired in time for the school year to start.

I don't see any benefit to a principal for hiring a long term sub as opposed to a full time teacher, really. Sounds like it's just what he's got to do right now. Do you have any other reason not to trust him?
Old 06-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Novice

FL
Oh okay I feel better now. I was just doubtful at first because "substitute" means putting in place of another. It's just the term that had me questioning that's all. But there should really nothing to worry about because I am working to get my teacher certification so I can become a permanent teacher. As of right now I'm working as a 3d graphic artist and I think it would be great to be able to share my knowledge to young artists in the near future, as I know that only a few schools have digital design teachers that actually had experience in the field.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Novice

FL
I will meet up with the principal and assistant principal within a few weeks, what questions should I expect from them? They will probably ask about my philosophy in teaching? Have me talk about my experience in the field? I just want to be completely prepared
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Novice

FL
Another question, up to how many months or years can a long term sub teach?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
Groupie

In our district there's not really a limit to how long someone can substitute. My substitute a few weeks ago has been doing it for five years. As far as individual assignments, I have long-termed for two weeks at a time up to a whole year. I would check with your own district/county, though, as I'm sure it's different everywhere. The biggest difference where I live between a long term sub and a teacher (besides tenure) is the paycheck- as a teacher I get paid a little more, but that first check as a "real teacher" was quite depressing because it got smaller when they spread it out over 12 months and THEN they took out insurance, retirement, union dues, etc. Ugh.

Is it possible that the principal hired you as a long term sub because you are not a certified teacher yet?

I haven't really every been formally interviewed, so I can't really help with that, but I'm sure someone will jump in with some recommendations =) I worked as a long term on a few different assignments in the same school, then the principal just asked me if I'd be interested in a year long assignment. That one turned into another, which turned into a contract when the original teacher resigned after school had started. Never had a real interview. Odd now that I think about it.?

If I had an interview coming up, though, I imagine I'd get together a portfolio that included some of my academic work/awards, a few samples of lesson plans, any recommendations from prior employers or professors, and my teaching philosophy. I'd expect questions like, "What do you to do differentiate instruction?" "Tell me about your teaching philosophy." "What does your classroom management plan look like?" Also, I'd probably expect questions about my experience and knowledge of the specific area I'd be teaching.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
You're thinking of "long term substitute" as a job title. Try thinking of it instead as a category of teacher. Some states require that a regular substitute have a BA and pass a basic skills test, period, but such a substitute may not take an assignment that lasts longer than 29 days; in contrast, the long-term sub typically has certification, though not necessarily in the specific subject area, and may take pretty much any assignment that isn't permanent.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
Your principal knows you are not certified and wants to interview you for an LTS position? Is there anyway your resume was not clear that you are not yet certified? It seems a bit strange, especially since you are not subbing now, you are working in graphic design.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Florida has some paths to certification that other states don't, AlwaysAttend. If memory serves, there's one alternative path in which a candidate HAS to have been hired first in order to get the certification.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Novice

FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAttend View Post
Your principal knows you are not certified and wants to interview you for an LTS position? Is there anyway your resume was not clear that you are not yet certified? It seems a bit strange, especially since you are not subbing now, you are working in graphic design.
Well I already spoke to him on the phone about me not having my Florida teaching certification yet. So that's when he brought up this long term sub position. While I work on getting my certification.

Queenie, that's interesting how you have a LTS working for five years already. What state do you live in?

Tags
long, substitute, teacher, term