A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Rookie

Chaska, MN
Paraprofessional
Applitrack Answers...Help if you are willing!

Well yet another day and another rejection letter! Boy it gets so hard to stay positive that one day I will get hired for a teaching job, I would actually be happy to just get an interview...but I digress....

I could use a hand with these Applitrack answers, I am just wondering if they are answering the questions, and if their is anything I should add or subtract in hopes of getting an interview!
Any and all help will be highly appreciated!

1. Describe the skills or attributes you believe are necessary to be an outstanding teacher.
I honestly believe that to be an outstanding teacher one must have several qualities. Compassion for the students is an absolute must. I also believe that a teacher must have a passion for what they do. I am very passionate about teaching and making it relevant to the students. The ability for a teacher to become very adaptable to many situations is also very important. Making sure that every student is getting the most out of every single lesson is very important. Teachers must also love what they do. I believe an outstanding teacher loves their job immensely and should be honored that they are able to teach the country's youth. I feel that teaching is not only a noble profession but also one of the most important jobs in our country. I also believe an outstanding teacher should have a deep knowledge of their content. As a history teacher, I am constantly learning more and more in order to incorporate it into my classrooms. I believe a teacher must be a great communicator, both verbally and non-verbally. Being able to pick up on non-verbal cues given by students can help to determine if there is some sort of issue plaguing a student.
I believe that an outstanding teacher plays a vital role in the development of children. The future for these children depends heavily on the quality of work that their teachers provide. A teacher must be able to make their children believe in themselves and give their students the feeling that they can be successful.

2. How would you address a wide range of skills and abilities in your classroom?
There are so many different things a teacher can do to address a wide range of skills and abilities. I think one of the first things that must be done is to get to know each studentís strengths and weaknesses. This will help a teacher to differentiate their lessons in order to maximize the amount of students who will comprehend that lesson. Being able to work with Special Education staff in developing IEP's for students is also an important way to ensure a student is getting the most out of each lesson. I think the best way to address these variations in abilities is to differentiate lessons. Trying to incorporate different lessons that touch on many different levels of Gardner's Multiple Intelligences.
I also think it is important to discover each students interests and try to incorporate those interests into the classroom. It is very important to treat each student as an individual and work with their strengths and their weaknesses in order to achieve a high rate of success in the classroom.

One of the most important reasons I have for becoming an educator is because I want to be that teacher who makes a difference in a studentís life. I believe by being a great teacher, I want to not, only help a student become successful in school, but also as a person. I want all students to believe that education can truly take them anywhere they want to go, and I am living proof of this!
Another important reason is because I have a very strong passion for history. I want to find a way to convey the importance of studying history with how important and relevant it can be in each of our lives. I have many ideas for lessons that I hope will bring history alive and make it a favorite area of study for students.
Lastly I became a teacher because there is nothing more exciting and satisfying than seeing the sense of accomplishment and pride when a student does well on an exam or earns a better grade than they expected.

3. From your point of view, how important is technology in education? What technology-related skills can you contribute to a school district?
I feel that bringing technology into the classroom is an absolute must. With how fast technology evolves, students need to know how to use technology, and also be taught how technology can better their everyday lives. I hope that in the future schools will be able to provide such things as iPads or laptops for students. I feel as if teaching a history class while being able to use an iPad, not only opens up a wealth of knowledge but also makes lessons much more interactive with the students. By making these lessons more interactive will also make them more relevant to the students. Making a lesson relevant to a student can be a difficult task, but with the help of technology, I feel that lessons will be long lasting in the students memory.
I have worked with SMART boards while doing my student teaching, and students seemed to enjoy being able to actively walk up to the SMART board and write on it etc. I feel that I can become much more competent in this area with more practice and learning the strengths and weaknesses of such educational tools.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Rookie

Chaska, MN
Paraprofessional
Is no one willing to critique? I was really hoping for some input before submitting several applications in the next few days...

Thanks Friends!

Lessa
Old 05-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
I personally would now change everything since you have made this available to the world. You may be an honest person, I think I can tell this by the fact that you posted your answers rather than asking for others. But now some dishonest person could just copy and paste what you did into their app. What happens if a principal sees the same answers more than once? My guess would be neither gets the call. So I suggest you start over since these were not working anyway. Start by answering the question directly, then provide relevant examples of how you did/used it. Once you finish, send it to a former professor you trust or a colleague.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Groupie

NJ
I'm not convinced that anyone ever actually reads these responses, but I've gotten a number of interviews so I'll at least share what I think in red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessa99 View Post

1. Describe the skills or attributes you believe are necessary to be an outstanding teacher.
I honestly believe that to be an outstanding teacher one must have several qualities. Eliminate this sentence. Obviously they must have several qualities. A serial killer must also have several qualities. Rework the introductory sentence. Compassion for the students is an absolute must. I also believe that a teacher must have a passion for what they do. I am very passionate about teaching and making it making what relevant? relevant to the students. The ability for a teacher to become very adaptable to many situations is also very important. Making sure that every student is getting the most out of every single lesson is very important. Teachers must also love what they do. I believe an outstanding teacher loves their job immensely and should be honored that they are able to teach the country's youth. I feel that teaching is not only a noble profession but also one of the most important jobs in our country. I also believe an outstanding teacher should have a deep knowledge of their content. As a history teacher, I am constantly learning more and more in order to incorporate it into my classrooms. I believe a teacher must be a great communicator, both verbally and non-verbally. Being able to pick up on non-verbal cues given by students can help to determine if there is some sort of issue plaguing a student.
I believe that an outstanding teacher plays a vital role in the development of children. The future for these children depends heavily on the quality of work that their teachers provide. A teacher must be able to make their children believe in themselves and give their students the feeling that they can be successful. Ok, maybe you should rework this one. You have listed a laundry list of qualities and cliches. Give SPECIFIC examples of lessons etc. They can be your own, or lessons you've observed from other great teachers.

2. How would you address a wide range of skills and abilities in your classroom?
There are so many different things a teacher can do to address a wide range of skills and abilities. I think one of the first things that must be done is to get to know each studentís strengths and weaknesses. This will help a teacher to differentiate their lessons in order to maximize the amount of students who will comprehend that lesson. Being able to work with Special Education staff in developing IEP's for students is also an important way to ensure a student is getting the most out of each lesson. I think the best way to address these variations in abilities is to differentiate lessons. Trying to incorporate different lessons that touch on many different levels of Gardner's Multiple Intelligences. Again, you've used a lot of buzzwords, but you haven't given any SPECIFIC examples. You really haven't answered the question of HOW you will do this.
I also think it is important to discover each students interests and try to incorporate those interests into the classroom. It is very important to treat each student as an individual and work with their strengths and their weaknesses in order to achieve a high rate of success in the classroom.EXAMPLES!!!

One of the most important reasons I have for becoming an educator is because I want to be that teacher who makes a difference in a studentís life. I believe by being a great teacher, I want to not, only help a student become successful in school, but also as a person. I want all students to believe that education can truly take them anywhere they want to go, and I am living proof of this!
Another important reason is because I have a very strong passion for history. I want to find a way to convey the importance of studying history with how important and relevant it can be in each of our lives. I have many ideas for lessons that I hope will bring history alive and make it a favorite area of study for students.
Lastly I became a teacher because there is nothing more exciting and satisfying than seeing the sense of accomplishment and pride when a student does well on an exam or earns a better grade than they expected. Is this for a different question?

3. From your point of view, how important is technology in education? What technology-related skills can you contribute to a school district?
I feel that bringing technology into the classroom is an absolute must. With how fast technology evolves, students need to know how to use technology, and also be taught how technology can better their everyday lives. Awkward wording. I hope that in the future schools will be able to provide such things as iPads or laptops for students.If this school doesn't have these things, you are going to make yourself look like you are not flexible. I feel as if teaching a history class while being able to use an iPad, not only opens up a wealth of knowledge but also makes lessons much more interactive with the students. By making these lessons more interactive will also make them more relevant to the students. Making a lesson relevant to a student can be a difficult task, but with the help of technology, I feel that lessons will be long lasting in the students memory.
I have worked with SMART boards while doing my student teaching, and students seemed to enjoy being able to actively walk up to the SMART board and write on it etc. I feel that I can become much more competent in this area with more practice and learning the strengths and weaknesses of such educational tools. Ok, the example is good, but make sure you mention that you are able to teach well without technology as well.

I dont mean to be harsh, just trying to help. If your cover letter is like this as well, I suspect that has more to do with why you are not getting interviews. Feel free to post it.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Rookie

MA
College Student
This is only for the first question--I haven't read the others yet.

Quote:
I honestly believe that to be an outstanding teacher one must have several qualities.
Awkward phrasing and is missing a comma.
Quote:
Compassion for the students is an absolute must. I also believe that a teacher must have a passion for what they do. I am very passionate about teaching and making it relevant to the students.
So you're going from compassion to passion quickly, and aren't giving specific examples of either one. Why is compassion important? Any examples? How does having passion make a difference?
Quote:
The ability for a teacher to become very adaptable to many situations is also very important.
Can you provide an example?
Quote:
Making sure that every student is getting the most out of every single lesson is very important.
How do you plan to make sure that every student is getting the most out of every lesson? Also, I would use the word "very" less.
Quote:
Teachers must also love what they do. I believe an outstanding teacher loves their job immensely and should be honored that they are able to teach the country's youth. I feel that teaching is not only a noble profession but also one of the most important jobs in our country.
I would delete the "I feel" and "I believe."
Quote:
I also believe an outstanding teacher should have a deep knowledge of their content. As a history teacher, I am constantly learning more and more in order to incorporate it into my classrooms.
Can you explain/provide an example of how content knowledge can make someone an outstanding teacher?
Quote:
I believe a teacher must be a great communicator, both verbally and non-verbally. Being able to pick up on non-verbal cues given by students can help to determine if there is some sort of issue plaguing a student.
Maybe add an example of how you picked up on a non-verbal cue?
Quote:
I believe that an outstanding teacher plays a vital role in the development of children. The future for these children depends heavily on the quality of work that their teachers provide. A teacher must be able to make their children believe in themselves and give their students the feeling that they can be successful.
How will you ensure that your students feel that they will be successful?

Overall, for this response, I think you need to cut down on the ideas. Just pick a few ideas that you feel strongly about and have good, specific examples and reasons for. Try not to go from one idea to the next without fully explaining why you think that specific quality is important in order to become an outstanding teacher. Also, I would focus on sentence structure and word choice. Honestly, I think you should start from scratch on this question.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Rookie

MA
College Student
OK, reading through your responses, I see several awkward sentences and quite a few grammatical errors. I would fix them before submitting to another school.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Forgive me for not knowing the proper term (I always forget it) but you go from A teacher ... to THEIR a LOT!!!! Decide how many people you're talking about.

And too many sentences begin with "I". You use the word "important" a LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessa99 View Post
I honestly believe that to be an outstanding teacher one must have several qualities. Compassion for the students is an absolute must. I also believe that a teacher must have a passion for what they do. I am very passionate about teaching and making it relevant to the students. teaching or education? The ability for a teacher to become very adaptable to many situations is also very important. Making sure that every student is getting the most out of every single lesson[B] is very important. [/B] Teachers must also love what they do. I believe an outstanding teacher loves their job immensely and should be honored that they are able to teach the country's youth. I feel that teaching is not only a noble profession but also one of the most important jobs in our country. I also believe an outstanding teacher should have a deep knowledge of their content. As a history teacher, I am constantly learning more and more in order to incorporate it into my classrooms. I believe a teacher must be a great communicator, both verbally and non-verbally. Being able to pick up on non-verbal cues given by students can help to determine if there is some sort of issue plaguing a student.

There are so many different things a teacher can do to address a wide range of skills and abilities. I think one of the first things that must be done is to get to know each studentís strengths and weaknesses. This will help a teacher to differentiate their lessons in order to maximize the amountnumber of students who will comprehend that lesson. Being able to work with Special Education staff in developing IEP'sI'm not sure I would abbreviate the first time you write it for students is also an important way to ensure a student is getting the most out of each lesson. I think the best way to address these variations in abilities is to differentiate lessons. Trying to incorporate different lessons that touch on many different levels of Gardner's Multiple Intelligences.sentence fragment
I also think it is important to discover each studentapostrophes interests and try to incorporate those interests into the classroom. It is very important to treat each student as an individual and work with their strengths and their weaknesses in order to achieve a high rate of success in the classroom.

Is this the same question? You've completely changed the topic

Another important reason for what?is because I have a very strong passion for history. I want to find a way to convey the importance of studying history with how important and relevant it can be in each of our lives. I have many ideas for lessons that I hope will bring history alive and make it a favorite area of study for students.
Lastly I became a teacher because there is nothing more exciting and satisfying than seeing the sense of accomplishment and pride when a student does well on an exam or earns a better grade than they expected.

I feel that bringing technology into the classroom is an absolute must. With how fast??? technology evolves, students need to know how to use technology,If it's constantly evolving, doesn't that imply that today's knowledge is outdated tomorrow? and also be taught how technology can better their everyday lives. I hope that in the future schools will be able to provide such things as iPads or laptops for students. I feel as if teaching a history class while being able to use an iPad, lose the commanot only opens up a wealth of knowledge but also makes lessons much more interactive with the students. By making these lessons more interactive will also make them more relevant to the students. sentence fragmentMaking a lesson relevant to a student can be a difficult taskyou're off the subject of technology, but with the help of technology, I feel that lessons will be long lasting in the students memory.
I have worked with SMART boards while doing my student teaching, and students seemed to enjoy being able to actively walk up to the SMART board and write on it NO, not in an official document. I feel that I can become much more competent in this areaNO!!!! Don't imply that you're not already competant!! with more practice and learning the strengths and weaknesses of such educational tools.
I would also address the issue of limited budgets in dealing with technology

I think you need to rework this, make it less wordy, and fix a lot of grammatical problems.

Someone else mentioned buzzwords. I would take out a LOT of them, and instead tell us in plain language what you think. Why are you the person for this job? There's nothing here that couldn't have been downloaded from a jobseeker's site by a thousand other new teachers.... what makes YOU the one they want????
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Rookie

MA
College Student
In addition, I don't think it's the best idea to start a paragraph with "There are several ways..." or "There are different things..."

Others may disagree though.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Rookie

Chaska, MN
Paraprofessional
Hey Friends, I really appreciate the help on these answers! I have been working hard to revise them, and will re-post once I have them updated!

Also I tried to post my cover letter, but did not see it posted...? Is this strange?

Tags
answershelp, applitrack