A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Rookie

LAPTOP VS. IPAD!! PLEASE HELP!!

Hello Teachers!! I am BRAND new this forum and joined to ask this question!! PLEASE help me and give me all your advice and opinions!! I just graduated from college (NY) in December. I am going to a job fair out of state soon since there are 0 jobs in NY!!

I am questioning whether I should get a laptop (Mac book air) or iPad with a keyboard and mouse. All of you have experience and I want to know what works best for you and why. I love the idea of how thin the iPad is and it's versatility. If I bought a keyboard and mouse it would basically be a laptop. I saw that there are TONS of great apps for the iPad in education at the app store. I am not that fabulous at technology and would need laptop or iPad for basics. Lesson planning, presentations, the usual. I am leaning toward an iPad because it seems to be able to do all that I need it to do. Some say that a laptop is a must though. What do you think and WHY?? Thank you!!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Fanatic

I'm a PC gal, so I don't really know what to tell you between two Apple products.

I will caution you about buying something for school or school-related work without knowing the platform of the district you'll enter. I personally will not get an iPad or Mac because my school uses Microsoft Office for everything. I need to be able to go back and forth between home and school without any issue. Unless I'm totally off base, I wouldn't be able to do that with two different operating systems.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Devotee

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCScienceTeach View Post
I'm a PC gal, so I don't really know what to tell you between two Apple products.

I will caution you about buying something for school or school-related work without knowing the platform of the district you'll enter. I personally will not get an iPad or Mac because my school uses Microsoft Office for everything. I need to be able to go back and forth between home and school without any issue. Unless I'm totally off base, I wouldn't be able to do that with two different operating systems.
Actually, you can. Apple is a good sport and allows you to save files as compatible with Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc.! It's a really neat feature.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Apple does also run MS Office (says the woman who's used MS Word on her Macs ever since the days of the LC).
Old 04-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Rookie

Ok good information!! Keep the information and opinions coming!!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Devotee

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
I would get the MacBook, but my only reasoning is because I like laptops better than tablets.

Here are some articles I found online that may help:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7...-the-trackpad/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...e-your-laptop/
Old 04-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
I have Macbook Pro and an Ipad! I love both!! I use my MP more than the IP. If this is for lesson planning, etc...I would lean towards the laptop.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
GET BOTH if you can afford it!
Laptop has my vote though.
Rebel1
Old 04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkids View Post
I have Macbook Pro and an Ipad! I love both!! I use my MP more than the IP. If this is for lesson planning, etc...I would lean towards the laptop.
Why do you use your Mac Book Pro more? Is it easier? Better to use?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Habitué

VA
Technology Teacher
For making lesson plans, I would go with a MacBook (with Microsoft Office for Mac, if your school district is adamantly Microsoft). If you are going to be doing a lot of creating/typing, it's easier on a laptop. The iPad apps for word processing, presentations, movie-making, etc., are more limited than those you get on the Mac. I've never used a MacBook Air, but I love my MacBook Pro!

Edited to add: I have an iPad from my school, too, which I like to use when I need to be more mobile, but if I had to choose, the laptop would win out.

Tags
ipad, laptop