A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Comrade

Illinois
Elementary-Autism
Order to teach letters

This may be in the wrong area, if it is, please let me know. Im a special education teacher with very little core curriculum background. I have a group of 4 kids with autism in a private day school. I would like to do a letter of the week type thing.

In a typical general education classroom, Is it appropriate to start at the beginning of the alphabet and go in order or are there certain letters I should start with.

Is there a site or something that walks me though this? I'll be doing letters, sight words, and some phonics...I have mostly non-verbal kids (so it will be receptively phonics (for example, what letter says /p/?) One is somewhat verbal, but he has a cleft palate and is hard to understand...hes the one that can read pretty well.

The abilities I have range from no letter recognition at all, to reading about 1st gradish level. Their skills are all over the place. I can modify the activities for everyone but Im not sure where to start....

Thank you

Amy

Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
I would never go in order. Once the children know a few letters, you want to get them composing words and reading words ASAP. I usually start with m s t b a so they can make words like mat, bat, sat, then move on to p, h, c, etc.

I would also work on phonological awareness with your kids if they can do it. If you google phonological awareness and phonemic awareness you'll get lots of ideas.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Comrade

Kindergarten Teacher
I have never used a curriculum where the letters are taught in order. Most curriculums teach the more common letters first (Ex: Mm, Aa, Ss, Tt, Dd ) and the least common letters last (Qq, Xx, Zz etc..). In my experience, Aa is the usually the first vowel introduced and Uu is the last. As soon as you have enough letters to spell words you can start blending. When I first started teaching I would basically wait until my class knew most of the letters before we started to put them together to spell words. Those times are long gone! We now start blending as soon as we know 3 letters. I introduce Mm, Aa and Tt during the first 3 weeks of school and by the end of the third week we are already spelling and trying to sound out the words "at" and "mat."

An excellent free website that my kids LOVE is Starfall.com. It is wonderful site to help kids learn letters and sounds. It also has things on the site for first grade as well. Check it out if you haven't already.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Habitué

North Georgia
5th Grade Teacher
I teach them in order how you write them, you should see Handwriting Without Tears, they have a good order.

c is the basic foundation of so many letters so it is usually first.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 AM
Aficionado

Michigan
This year I had almost every letter in the alphabet in their names. I chose a different student each day and we would look at the letters in their names, say the letters, chant the letters, count the letters etc. We talked about the beginning sounds of each name.

It makes it important to the students. At the same time, I was following what my reading curriculum does.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Habitué

Maine
High School Life Science
I'm taking an ASL class right now and, although we learned the alphabet at the beginning, we have been perfecting our handshapes by the common movements and shapes required for each letter.

Tags
letters, order, teach