A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 03-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Companion

Texas
Why do you want to work at this school?

I am filling out applications for 2 private schools both of which on the applications ask why do you want to work at ___ school? I've heard great things about both schools from teachers I work with that have kids at those schools, although I don't know much about the schools and frankly I'll apply to almost anywhere I see a job as I really need a full time job. Although this might be a general statement and not specific to their school, I thought about putting something in my answer about desiring to work at private schools which I feel are a nurturing environment and how at private schools you are able to really get to know your students and give them more individual attention. Any other thoughts? Should I search their website for info to put down of why I want to work at their school?

Old 03-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I would do a search of their website, especially their mission statement to help you frame a response to this question. Also, are these schools in the community in which you live? This can be a reason for wanting to work there as well.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Companion

Texas
Yes both private schools are in the community that i live and within 5 minutes of the preschool where I work now
Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I would also include the positives from the parents and the positives that the school does in the community.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
I agree with Mopar. Spend some time on their websites to see what the school stand for, and what their goals are. Really explore their sites to get a good idea of what each school offers, and what each school is like. That should help you to find out more bout them.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:28 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
We read so many posts from teachers about bad administrations, scripted curriculums, and a host of other factors which make a school a bad fit.

I think it's really worth the time to do the homework, and find reasons why you do want to work in that particular school.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Maven

Central Ohio
Online English Teacher
You're on the right track if you follow the previous posters. If you mention your proximity, I wouldn't say, "It's a short commute." Instead, talk about how you value the schools as a part of your community and would love to join one or the other on a teaching level. Something like that might do the trick.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Companion

Texas
Both schools don't have a whole lot on their websites. There's a mission statement, and a bit about what is taught but not a lot. Both have small class sizes (no more than 18 students) and are christian schools, so I could definitely write about how i prefer working in small, christian schools that offer a nurturing environment while also having strong academics.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Look carefullly at the mission statements.

And google both school names. See what awards they've won, what news they've made in the community.

Tags
school, work