A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 12-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Rookie

Ambler, PA
Holiday activities & crafts for 5th grade???

Hello everyone!

I'm a long-term sub for a 5th grade class and was wondering if anyone out there had any great ideas for holiday activities. Fifth grade is a slippery slope where some students really enjoy the arts and crafts while others find if more juivenile. So, I was hoping to gain some insight from experienced 5th grade teachers that have any ideas for activities and crafts for the holidays. I stress "holiday" activities because my district asks that things be as inclusive and secular as possible. I would love to make something with the class (that is relatively simple for me to find the materials for) to bring home to the family. A fun activity or game or a holiday party would be great too... Any suggestions? THANK YOU!!!

Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 PM

Florida
Make removable cling art by using glass paint on transparency paper over some design. Remove and it will stick to the windows.

My 5th graders loved cutting snowflakes and they look beautiful against a navy blue BB. I read aloud the book about Snowflake Bentley.

Create 3D stars or Christmas trees or snowmen. You can glue them or hold them in the middle with straight pins. Hang a ribbon on them and they become ornaments.

Use old Christmas card pictures to make wreaths or cut them up and use parts of them on their own painted or markered scenes.

Clear glass ornaments are inexpensive and can be decorated many ways.

Make cinnamon/applesauce cut outs with cookie cutters. They smell wonderful and can be used as car deodorizers.

Check out this site, Crayola, and Mailbox sites for various holiday themed printables and activity sheets.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
daisy, I use to make those cinnamon ornaments all the time with the kids. I've lost the recipe for it.............would you happen to know it because I would like to do that again this year with the kids. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2005, 04:22 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
My kids are going to begin making holiday cards today. Take an old card (picture part only) and cut it in half either horizontally, vertically, or diagonally. Glue on half down onto a piece of white paper a bit larger than the original card. Now, draw (reproduce) the cut away part of the card, colouring it to resemble the original as closely as possible. Glue the finished product onto coloured cardstock or construction paper for a card. Not sure if this explanation is clear: basically, you end up with half of the card in its original form and half drawn by the student.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:33 AM
Devotee

Mid-Michigan
Middle School Teacher
Cinnamon Ornaments

This is the recipe I use. However, there are many others. I put a link on the bottom for other variations

Mix together 2 cups of cinnamon, 4 t of ground cloves or all-spice, 1-1/2 cups of applesauce, and 4 tablespoons of white glue. Knead the mixture for about 10 minutes. If the mixture is a bit too wet, add more cinnamon; if it is too dry, add more applesauce. The mixture should form enough dough to create an ornament for all students in a class of 25 students.

Note: If you prefer to have small groups of students working on this project, arrange students into groups of six. Have each group mix ˝-cup of cinnamon, 1/3-cup of applesauce, and 1 tablespoon of glue.

Students take turns using a rolling pin to roll out the mixture on a board dusted with cinnamon. Then provide a cookie cutter (if all students will create the same ornament) or a collection of holiday cookie cutters. When the dough is rolled out, students press the cookie cutter(s) into the dough to form their ornaments.

Variations: You might provide non-holiday cookie cutters -- such as animals or a schoolhouse -- that would also be appropriate. Also, students can use the tip of a pencil or an unraveled paper clip to scratch a message into one side of the ornament. That message could be as simple as the student’s name and the year, so the ornament will serve as a memento of this holiday season. If the ornament will be given as a special gift, students might scratch a message of love for the planned recipient.

Use a spatula to lift the ornaments onto a sheet of wire screening (or a cooling rack used in baking). Use the tip of a pencil to gently poke a hole at the top of the ornament. Over the next two days, turn the ornaments a few times, so they will dry thoroughly. If necessary, ornaments can be baked in a very low oven.

When the ornament is dry, string ribbon through the hole, so it can be hung from a tree or window.

http://www.make-stuff.com/projects/c...ornaments.html
Old 12-09-2005, 07:03 AM
Rookie

Ambler, PA
thanks everyone! these are some great ideas that i'll definitely use!! i'll let you know how things turn out...
Old 12-09-2005, 10:52 AM

Florida
That sounds just like it, wig.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
Do a crystal activity (science). On a black piece of construction paper have them draw a winter scene with crayons. Colors like red, blue, brown, white, orange, and yellow work best. They have to color hard on the paper. You need to make a Epson Salt/Hot Water Mixture for the next part. Let it cool down and then give the kids paintbrushes. They paint on the paper where they would like snow to appear. In a day the crystals will appear and continue to grow. It's a really neat experiment that my kids love!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
Miss W,
How much Epson salt to how much hot water?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
I've got to find the lesson plan I have on it. I'll post when I find it. I know it's somewhere in my winter stuff.

Tags
5th, activities, crafts, grade, holiday