A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fifth Grade

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM
Rookie

TN
5th Grade Teacher
teaching generalizations

Hello,

We had this skill a few weeks ago and here it is again! It was difficult the first time and now I must think of another way to do it again! Any ideas on how to teach generalizations? The story they have with it in Reading Street (anyone else use it?) is a play called the Giovanni Storm Club. Any ideas or suggestions?

I also need to get some work up on the walls of my classroom. UGGH! I hate dog and pony shows! We're working we don't have time to create things for the wall! Anyone relate?

Thanks,

Old 01-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Companion

conversational generalizations

I would use generalizations regarding everything in the class, such as all 5th graders ____, boys always ___, today's music/TV/movies/clothing, is all ____. When they protest about your statements you can finish the impromptu mini-lesson.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Rookie

TN
5th Grade Teacher
I don't know if anyone else uses Scott Foresman Reading Street, but there's a great resource called Waltke's Web that if you do is worth checking out. I hadn't seen these before but for this last story someone put up a Thinkin Guide to the story. It is FANTASTIC. You'll just have to see it rather than explain it all. You should really check it out because it really helped my students to utilize those reading comprehension skills. Generalizations was one of them. The story is about a girl moving and having a hard time leaving her friends. So, one question was how do you think it feels to move or change skills based on what you have read so far. So, they gave their opinions. I summarized and said so, "MOST children/people don't like moving because it's hard to adjust and make new friends." They got it! It was a topic most of them could relate to. I said, this is a generalization. We took information about a few we know and about ourselves and made it about "MOST" "MANY" "ALL"...those are generalizations and we could say this is valid, if we asked people "most" will say moving is hard. Then for an exit ticket I asked them to make a generalization about 5th graders at DTE. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
generalizations, teaching