A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 01-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Companion

Alabama
S.P.I.R.E.

Does anybody here use this program? I got some of the materials on Friday afternoon and have to teach this tomorrow. I guess what I would really like to know is does it work for your school? Are there any free resources to go with this? From what I have read this is similar to DI, which I am familiar with.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Aficionado

USA
Yes, I've used it extensively. It does work, but there are a few other components I've added to it based on individual child's needs. Do you have all of the materials - magnetic letter board, word cards, etc? Also, do you have Sounds Sensible, which is the downward extension of the program for teaching more basic phonics?

Also, SPIRE is very much a Direct Instruction (DI) program, which is more of a set of a methodology than a particular branded program. There are many DI-based programs - I'd consider SPIRE to be one of those.

We chose SPIRE after extensively looking at research and user reviews of SPIRE, Wilson, and a lot of others. For the price, usability, and efficacy, it's a good selection!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 PM
Companion

Alabama
I have some of the materials: sight words and the phonogram cards. No workbooks or student books yet. I don't know about Sounds Sensible, I am teaching Level 1 to second graders. Later I will get some training. It use takes getting use to the components. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
I use the readers with my children at school and they love them.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzoid View Post
I have some of the materials: sight words and the phonogram cards. No workbooks or student books yet. I don't know about Sounds Sensible, I am teaching Level 1 to second graders. Later I will get some training. It use takes getting use to the components. Thanks for the info!
If you don't have the student books, it's probably not going to be helpful, as that's the bulk of the program. At the very least, I'd have student readers and the teacher's manual. The magnetic letters boards are a few dollars, but incredibly worth it.

Sounds Sensible would be relevant if you had kids in need of intervention with phonemic awareness, or with decoding single consonant sounds. Level 1 starts with short vowels, so if they're at that level and above, you'd be good. Here's a link to the scope & sequence:

http://eps.schoolspecialty.com/downl...d_sequence.pdf
Old 01-24-2012, 05:58 AM
Companion

Alabama
I do have one student book, so I have been making copies until the books come in. I have letter tiles that I am using for right now. Money is tight right now for me personally and for the system. I'll find out tomorrow where the supplies for this program are coming from. Its a work in progress.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Aficionado

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzoid View Post
I do have one student book, so I have been making copies until the books come in. I have letter tiles that I am using for right now. Money is tight right now for me personally and for the system. I'll find out tomorrow where the supplies for this program are coming from. Its a work in progress.
Sounds like it's at least a good start and like you're making do for now

Tags
spire