A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Companion

minnesota
Preschool Teacher
Whiteboard or chalkboard paint?

Hi Everyone,
I just recently purchased a used train table that has a double sided top. I was thinking of keeping one side green like it already is, but wanted to paint the other side with chalkboard or whiteboard paint. I have been looking online at whiteboard paint and it is fairly expensive, but I thought it would be less messy in the long run than having chalk dust everywhere. Does anyone have any opinions on chalkboard paint vs. whiteboard paint? If you have used chalkboard paint before, how much of a problem is the mess with the chalk dust everywhere? I haven't really seen chalkboards used recently at the preschools I worked at and student taught at. It seems like everyone is switching over to whiteboards. It seems like turning the opposite side of the train table into a chalkboard would definitely be more cost effective since the paint is cheaper and the chalk is way cheaper than whiteboard markers, but what is everyone's opinion on this?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
With allergies and chalk dust, I would suggest whiteboard paint. I've never used either paint, but I know that we switched to white boards due to many allergies from the chalk.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
For little ones, I'd use the chalkboard paint. Fourth graders ruin markers in a minute so little ones would in seconds.

Edited to add: The smell of some markers, even if you have low odor, can trigger headaches. If you have wet wipes to use after the kids touch chalk, many kids can use chalk. I could use chalk without problems if I washed the residue off.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
Yep, I was just going to say....allergies aside I would use chalkboard paint. The allergy question could get added to an intake form so that you had a head start at knowing what years to pull the chalk activity. Chalk is great for fine motor, and for pencil grip and allows them to use the "strong writing muscle" writing stance that breaks markers in a minute. Chalk is WAY less expensive to replace as they break it......

Here we have markers and a chalk board and white boards, but we can only move to markers as our "muscles get ready" some guys have "muscle hands that still need a good workout" and they use the materials that are able to withstand the phase. No critical comments, we make it out to sound like they are very strong and they are, it just takes a while to get those muscles refined.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Comrade

KY
Preschool Teacher
I would take the dust of chalk over the mess and expense of wipe off markers any day.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Chalk is cheaper than whiteboard markers...preK kids won't cap the markers tightly and you'll be replacing all the time.
I miss my chalkboard...so much that I painted my pantry doors with chalkboard paint! We post holiday greetings, go team messages (both son's play rugby and Army Navy game s next week...Go Navy!), grocery list...
Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Companion

minnesota
Preschool Teacher
Thanks for the help everyone! I thought chalkboard paint would be the best bet, but just needed a second opinion
Old 12-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Companion

Oklahoma
High School Math Teacher
You can actually make your own chalkboard paint.

Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout to every cup of paint.

Here's a link to instructions:

http://www.goinghometoroost.com/2010...ed-chalkboard/
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
I had no idea! That is so cool!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I would still vote for whiteboard. I hate chalk and some of the schools around me don't allow any chalk to be used, so that may be the next thing to happen. Crayola came out with whiteboard crayons this year if the markers are really a problem.

Tags
chalkboard, paint, whiteboard