A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 11-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Enthusiast

pajama party ideas

Instead of a traditional holiday party, our class has a pajama party with the theme of "The Night Before Christmas." I'm looking for some ideas...

Here's what we did last year...
All the kids wear their pjs and bring a favorite stuffed toy.
For food, we had "breakfast" - (muffins, doughnut holes, fruit, milk and cereal)
For craft/game stations, we had:
1. Decorate a pillowcase to take home and use at Christmas
2. Bedtime story station
3. Dress a teddy bear station - using the animals they brought
4. Gummy bears patterning activity

I didn't like how the patterning went and am really looking for a game/craft that sort of goes along more with a bedtime theme. Any/all ideas are appreciated!
Kim

Old 11-30-2005, 06:02 PM

Florida
Make stuffed animals out of socks.
Make 'bedbugs' out of pom poms.
Decorate nightshirts.
Bring their favorite blankie in to cuddle with.

Listen to Kenny Loggins CD Back to Pooh Corner.
Read In The Night Kitchen.
Make night pictures on black paper with chalk.

Make little beds out of construction paper, make blanket, pillow, etc., glue together but leave space to tuck in a paper teddy bear.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
Kim,

I have the kids wear their pjs when we do the letter P, we are doing it in 2 weeks. I am going to read- If you Give a Pig a Pancake and we will make pancakes, and a pig puppet. For math I am going to set up different patterning stations for the kids to go to and make patterns - using cereal, dot markers, foam shapes and so on. We will make popcorn in the afternoon and read some Pp stories.

Maybe you can serve hot coco-chocolate milk and read the Polar Express. You can have your aid put a bell on the kids chairs or in their backpack when they aren't looking.
Sring popcorn, decorate paper Christmas trees with pom poms, and sequence.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Groupie

Primary Elementary Teacher
On our pajama day we would always make popcorn and watch movies...
Old 12-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Comrade

We had a teddy bear themed week this week and tonight we had a Teddy Bear Slumber Party. All the bears who were not too nervous to stay overnight at school stayed in the room when the kids left... a little while later, I put the bears around the room, playing a board game, using play-doh, reading a book, doing a puzzle, even a couple with empty soda cans and an empty popcorn bag!
Tomorrow morning we will have a Teddy Bear Breakfast (donations from parents & we'll make smoothies together) and write about what our bears did at the party.
I wanted to make it a pajama party as well, but it coincided with school spirit day and we all are supposed to wear our school shirts.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Habitué

NH/USA
currently tutoring
When I have a pajama party during P week we have pancakes, and then I set up different centers that have something to do with the letter P. I have parents at centers, such as helping the kids guess how high the popped popcorn will reach on the paper bag, draw a line on the bag, then pop the kernels. A sequencing paper goes with that. I have P crafts in the art center, paper bag something.
We have a pancake relay race too. We also read Pancakes, Pancakes, and If You Give a Pig a Pancake. I have another parent helping the kids make pretzels shaped in the letter P. Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Groupie

Arizona
Homeschool teacher
Are they mature enough to string popcorn or to make a mix like chexmix, make snowmen out of cotton balls on a blue paper, or a snow scape with salt water mixture ove their crayon sceene? And yes dare I say it one more time, steel a craft idea from Oriental trading co. Or make gingerbread men out of sheets of cork (thin kind) you decorate with scraps of felt, ric-rac, fabric, buttons, puffy paint (or glitter glue) trace your gingerbread man from a medium size cookie cutter. Or you could have pre-made gingerman cookies to decorate, with frosting, writing gels, tiny candies etc..
Or you if you can make gingerbread houses, the little kinds made out of grahm crackers.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
We're doing a P.E.P.P. (Polar Express Pajama Party). We're transforming the room into a train and watching the movie.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
All these great ideas are getting me inspired to have a day like that on our last day before Christmas Vacation!! I was just talking to another teacher about what we were going to as far as a party. Thanks all for the fun ideas....
Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
Miss W..........I was thinking of doing Polar Express day, too!!! Now I will do the pj's with it! I will give out bells on ribbon for necklaces. I can't wait......it will be fun!!!

Tags
ideas, pajama, party