A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 11-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Companion

Teaching Rhyming

Hello Everyone!

How do you teach rhyming to kindergarten children? This year's class is not catching on. What I find even more intriguing is that it's my "higher" kids who are struggling. I've read numerous books and done some activities. Many of my children are confusing rhyming with having the same beginning sound. (even though I've tried explaining the difference.)

What kinds of things do you do in your classroom to help teach the concept of rhyming?

Thanks!

Kel

Old 11-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
In my school we use Open Court and it has rhyming activities almost daily in the lessons so it is helpful. Some of mine are having trouble with it - esp my ESL kids but it will come eventually. When I say the words aloud to them I place a lot of emphasis on the ending sound.
Some activities I have done:

*Read rhyming stories - Dr. Seuss is great and I have them listen to the in the listening center. Sheep in a Jeep is a good story too.

*Put 3 cards in the pocket chart 2 rhyming and one not rhyming. Have them figure out which does not belong.

* I have these rhyme away and draw a rhyme stories I got when I was student teaching and we do those occasionally.

*I give a word such as cat and we try to think as many words that rhyme with it.

* I have rhyming file folder games and rhyming puzzles we use in centers.

*I give them a sentence and they have to finish it: The mouse lives in the____(house). The dog jumped over the ___(log).

*Sometimes I take picture cards and put rhyming ones together and nonsense ones together. I put the cards in a deck and each child has a turn to come and pick 2 cards from the top of the deck they have to say whether rhyme or do not rhyme.

*Occasionally we will do a rhyming worksheet just for practice.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Groupie

Primary Elementary Teacher
Sometimes I write an ending on a card (for Sheep in a Jeep I would write -eep). Then I make other cards with sh, j, b, and st. Then we make the words from the book with the index cards. (sheep, jeep, beep, steep). This has helped some of the kids that weren't getting the idea.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Novice

Play initial sound deletion & replacement games. You say roller. They say Foller, Boller, Coller, Stoller, Moller, Loller (Or whatever initial sound they want). Have them do it with their names. Sing the NAME GAME.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
Picture cards. Cat, Rat, Bat, Fat, Hat, Mat, and etc.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Aficionado

Wisconsin
Former Pre-K and Elem. Teacher
My son has this toy...of course it's Leapfrog (I should become their unofficial spokewoman or something;. It's called the Phonics Desk. You put in a card, spell the word and there is a button to hear rhyming words. Just recently my son really got into this toy and loves the rhyming. It plays a little "rap" song and lists about 5-6 different words that rhyme for the word on the card.

I don't know if you can use this in your classroom, but you can certainly model it with rhyming songs and such. I think the hands on activities really help in this area. It's something that seems to be a little more difficult to explain in words and needs hands on things to accompany it.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Companion

I haven't formally introduced rhyming yet, but we say the "See you later alligator" poem I found at http://www.drjean.org/html/monthly_a..._May/pg11.html. We do it as a call and response poem (I say one line, they say the next) at the end of the day when we are all lined up. The kids love this! We learn about one line a week until we memorized the whole thing. I usually hear them trying to think of their own sentence on the way out the door.

Tags
rhyming, teaching