A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Rookie

Florida
Help! My students don't listen!!!

This is my first year teaching, and I've been in the classroom since August. On the first day of school I THOUGHT I had some fairly easy to understand rules in place, and have been going over those rules with each of my 3 5th grade science classes each day. Now it's almost November and I have changed my rules slightly, changed my classroom managment system, changed seats every other week, and still nothing works.

I do the "Give me 5" and they are expected to all raise their hands and drop what they're doing to focus on what I have to say. They don't. I can be in the middle of teaching a lesson and they all just start their own conversations.

The killer is that when they are in class with the other two 5th grade teachers, I know they behave better. It's like when they come into my room they think it's a free-for-all.

I have a new teacher mentor who has been helping me, and both my principal and assistant principal are on my side, but it's starting to drive me crazy that nothin is getting accomplished.

If anyone could just give me some advice on what I could possibly do to save my sanity it would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 10-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
Why did you change your management system and rules?

Have you had the chance to speak to the other grade 5 teachers about their management strategies?

Are there consequences for the students who aren't following the rules?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
It's all about learning how to show them that you mean business and being that "tough" teacher who doesn't let you get away with anything.

If you say, give me five, and two students begin talking, what do you do? Do you ignore and continue giving instructions hoping they will stop talking and listen to you? Or do you give them the teacher look, walk close to them (proximity) to give them the nonverbal clue to stop talking, etc.?

Are the other two fifth grade teachers new to teaching? If not, the reason those kids act better may be that those teachers know how to stop problems before they get out of hand. They may be stern, firm, and consistent.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Consequences....you need to tighten up. A teacher in my hallway just started tickets for not following the rules. At two tickets, the kid misses ten minutes of recess. If the class goes a day with no tickets, they get some free time on Friday afternoons.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:57 PM
Rookie

Florida
These children don't repsond to the look, proximity, or anything else I've tried. The other 2 teachers have both been teaching for years, one in this school and the other has been in a few schools in the area.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Rookie

Florida
Yeah I've been talking with my mentor about consequences. I didn't have a good concrete set of consequences. I worked on that this weekend and plan to start up with them on Monday. Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll start seeing some results!!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Rookie

Florida
My rules I just re-wrote but basically kept them the same. Some of the classroom management ideas I was using were just not working. I kept some things the same but made changes to see if they would work better and to see if the students would respond better to them.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Devotee

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachyness View Post
It's all about learning how to show them that you mean business and being that "tough" teacher who doesn't let you get away with anything.

If you say, give me five, and two students begin talking, what do you do? Do you ignore and continue giving instructions hoping they will stop talking and listen to you? Or do you give them the teacher look, walk close to them (proximity) to give them the nonverbal clue to stop talking, etc.?

Are the other two fifth grade teachers new to teaching? If not, the reason those kids act better may be that those teachers know how to stop problems before they get out of hand. They may be stern, firm, and consistent.

I had the same issue my first three years of teaching and what I learned is that you HAVE to be consistant and (at least in the beginning) you have to let NOTHING slide. For instance I would say something like, "NO TALKING WHILE YOU ARE WORKING" and it would be quiet a couple minutes, then people start whispering and I wouldn't say anything because I figured, "it's not that loud". Then, before I know it, the entire class would be super chatty and loud, not working.

What I was teaching them is, "When Ms. Em says something, she only means it for a little while, then you can go back to doing whatever you want."

Now if that happened, I would give the class a warning and clearly state the expectation. Then I watch carefully, find the one or two people intiating the talking and make an example out of them (ie: GO CHANGE YOUR COLOR you now have 5 minutes on the wall) and the others fall in line.

It's rare to have a class full of knuckleheads. It's normally 1 - 3 (sometimes 5) that are the leaders who instigate situations and that misbehave and the other kids will follow their example. If you can get the leaders under control, it helps to reign the "followers" in..

Do you have the option to take away the kids recess? That is a major motivator in elementary, even for big kids. Imagine if the P told you you couldn't have your planning period if you started whispering/texting during a staff meeting. You'd be mad, but quiet I bet!

The first year is rough. Keep trying and talking to people, not just teachers, for advice. My Mom, who never taught, has been great in helping me with my class management
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Newcomer

Singapore
Learning Mentor
We are living in an era where the media has influenced our students to be less of a listen, especially to teachers which they viewed as uninteresting compared with the TV programs or computer games. Thus teachers are facing a challenge to trying to use traditional approach to teach students and also manage the class.

In working with such students, it is important not to use the traditional "Sit-And;Listen" pedagogy because students will not sit and listen...thus it is important to think through how to engage them...use questioning approaches to get them to interact or say out the question and share what they understand and how are they going to solve it in groups...

Tags
listen, students