A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 10-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Companion

Washington state
1st Grade Teacher
Show and Tell in first grade?

I just moved from kindergarten to first grade and did not start the year off with sharing time because the other first grade teacher doesn't. We talk casually at the start of each day, with me calling on kids who have something brief to tell me about their life. But these kids are dying to come to the front of the room and share!

FYI: I was at a different school last year (higher poverty last year). My kindergartners there had better oral communication skills than my first graders do here--maybe because they shared each week? I don't know.

Do any first grade teachers out there do show and tell? I'd like to start it up again. Just wondering how it looks for you in first grade. What are your parameters? No toys? Something related to what you're studying? Something made by the child or found in nature? Questions only from the audience (no comments)?

Or would I be the only first grade teacher in the world who does show-and-tell time?

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Companion

Australia
AP
I do show and tell so you are definitely not the only one!

We give the chn a topic to talk about and they have a set day for their show & tell each week. The topics usually relate to what we are learning about in class or a special day/holiday/event happening around that time. Most of the time we just ask them to speak but sometimes it may be to draw a picture of a particular thing, write a list of something or create something simple.
Occasionally we will give 'free choice' but we specify no toys.

We give the topics a couple of weeks in advance so they have stacks of time to prepare. If they have not prepared anything they can usually get up and talk anyway, perhaps with some prompting from me.

I usually allow up to 3 questions but this depends on how stretched for time we are!
Old 10-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Phenom

Midwest
I did the first half of the year... I asked them to bring in something that we were working on like the word families when we started spelling tests. The seemed to like that and it wasn't always toys which was nice as well. I had one kid bring a fox pelt in... It was pretty cute. We also only had 3 questions for the "shower" and then moved on.

We did sharing on Friday afternoons... we had a special that was towards the end of the day & it left us about 20-30mins to share at the end.. It was a nice way to wind up the week.

I know a K teacher that used a lunch box and the item they shared had to fit in the lunch box. There were questions inside because they had to share it like a surprise in the box. The questions were for the "shower" to have clues. I think there were like 5-6 questions. Like is this something you play with, color, things like that. The K class had fun... I'm sure you could do something like that where your 1st graders could answer the questions and read them to the class and then the others could make a guess. Whoever got it right got to take it home, if a duplicate then they could pick someone or the teacher had a list.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
Ohhh I like the box with questions idea! Great for inferring and using those sentence helpers, "I think it is a... because..." or "I infer it's a ______ because ______" and things like that.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
Every Monday we talked about the weekend. It's good practice for telling stories in sequential order and having the main idea, etc. and strengthens their oral language while letting them get the main stuff out. Then we did All About Me Bags and a few other presentation things. You could also do sharing what I wrote, sharing my favorite book (retell), star of the week, 100 days of school item show and tell, theme related ideas (such as favorite animal if you are doing habitats), as a "publishing" idea for major works, compliment time, etc.

Really if you think about classroom community, building up their oral language and look at your standards, you could probably find many ways to share and stay within your curriculum expectations.

For some projects I supply paper bags and tell them to go home and decorate it. I show mine which has symbols that mean something to me. This is a hard concept and hard for them to tell you why they drew things. It's good practice and exposure to symbolism but I don't expect perfection and if a kid doesn't get it, I just keep exposing. Then they share what is inside.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Novice

Connecticut
I did show and tell every Friday last year with my first graders. Students were to bring in an item from home that connected to the weekly text. In the school I was in, we used the Harcourt literacy curriculum where each week is assigned a story. I would have students sit on the carpet in a circle and one by one, while sitting share what it is they brought in, and their connection to the story. Depending on time, I would allow 2-3 responses or further connections from other students before moving on to the next student. The only parameter for show and tell were no living things.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Cohort

NY
Show and tell is a really fun time, and it is important for developing oral skills. If you decide to do it, make sure you have some ground rules. The PPs have mentioned several good ones. My main one is no toys, unless I specifically say its okay. (Usually around the holidays, or if there is a birthday I will allow the kid to bring in a toy.)
Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Novice

Melbourne
We do different things for speaking and listening skills. One is a round robin story. The students sit in a circle and tell a story, each student adds one or two sentences to the story until everyone gets a turn. It's good because they get to speak in front of the class and it can also be used to teach story writing skills (characters, setting, theme, plot, intro, problem, ending etc...)

The other great activity is active listening. The students pair together and one of them tells the other something about themselves or something they did. The listener then has to repeat this to the class.

They're just a few substitutes for show and tell to help them develop speaking and listening skills.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Rookie

MA, USA
Yeah! Show and tell is a great idea, this age is mainly about concept building, and children grasp more from concrete things rather than abstract ones. Getting them close to nature is also a fabulous idea, the more they experience, the more they learn, their verbal ability enhances too.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Devotee

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
I think that's wonderful that you are giving the children a chance to share their thoughts. My students are quite often chomping at the bites to share their writing, pictures, and lives. We don't do actual show and tell (ie: bringing an item from home and talking about it...which I really miss because I LOVED doing that in elementary school), but again, we do have opportunities for the kids to present.

Trust me, you are not the only first grade teacher in the world or even in your state to do it.

If we were allowed to do the old school show and tell that I referred, I would do it every Friday. The kids NEED to have fun at this age. School should be fun, NOT all about test scores.

Tags
grade, show