A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Devotee

East Coast
Primary Elementary Teacher
HELP! I don't like my new apartment...

So I recently moved out of my relatives basements into the upper floor of a townhouse. At first it was great...some space away from my family, being literally 2 minutes from my boyfriend's apartment...nice area...roommate(who owns the house) works nights, so I (mostly) have the house to myself.

However, it's now been almost a week and a half and I am finding that I don't like it here anymore. Maybe you all can offer some advice? Here are the issues I have:

1) I live on the 4th floor of the house, so all the heat rises. It's almost always too hot at night. I feel uncomfortable adjusting the thermostat because even though I pay rent it's not my house. (I went into roommate's room while she was out and it was just as hot in her room, except she has no fan. So I don't think heat bothers her)

2) Roommate has two dogs, one of which sleeps/lounges in his bed at the bottom of the stairs. (He's a german shepar, rott weiler mix, so pretty big. I am not scared of him, but every morning, it is a pain to step over him trying not to lose my balance, especially if I have a bunch of binders and school stuff in my hands. He has been sleeping there for 10 years, so I don't think she is going to change it)

3) I never know when roommate is going to be home (ie: She has been home Saturday, Sunday and Monday. She occasionally posts her work schedule on the fridge, but not all the time. I feel weird asking her to do so). So I don't really feel relaxed

4) She is like too trusting. She leaves the sliding glass door to the basement unlocked whenever she isn't home (she works from 3 p.m. to 3 a.m. most days) so the dogs can go outside and pee whenever they feel like it. She also leaves the front door unlocked when she walks the dogs (even at night) and she has no blinds in the kitchen, so u can see straight into her house all the way to the family room

5) I feel uncomfortable having company downstairs unless I know for sure she is going to be out all night because it's HER t.v. in the family room.

6) Roommate's other dog has psychological issues. So if he is not wearing his shock collar he barks. A LOT. LOUDLY. When roommate is home, she lets him walk loose on the 2nd floor. If he hasn't seen me for awhile, he "greets" me by barking. A LOT. LOUDLY. If I pet him then go to pet the German/Rott, he gets jealous I guess and barks even more. Sometimes she has to pick him up so he'll calm down.

7) Recently, I brought some chicken home from KFC. I guess the dogs aren't used to the fried smell (roomate is very health conscious) because they went CRAZY. The little one kept jumping up on my leg, whimpering, pacing back and forth between my legs. The Rott/German sat a few feet away and just stared at me. Even though he's friendly, he is still a BIG DOG. I felt really uncomfortable.

My roommate kept trying to shoo them away, but they wouldn't leave me alone. When she left the room to go to the bathroom, the big dog came over to me and started licking my legs and trying to lick my fingers. Finally, I put my food away in the fridge. I wasnt done but i was tired of being hassled. The two dogs spent the next 30 minutes sniffing and pawing at the carpet underneath the table where I'd been eating, I guess looking for crumbs

I talked to my boyfriend about it and he understands my concerns but he is like, "You need to give it at least six months"

I talked to my Mom and she said she wouldn't like the living situation, especially the dogs

Edit: Right now I can hear my roommate downstairs in the kitchen. I want to go make myself a sandwich but I am instead sitting upstairs hungry because I don't want to:

1) To talk to her (she's nice but I don't feel like socializing)

2) Pretend to enjoy the dogs, especially if they decide to start bugging me for my food

3) Let her see me carrying food upstairs to my room

Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Guru

Hmmm. Sorry you are feeling uncomfortable. My question is this: did you know this girl beforehand, and if so, how well?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
Move. I used to have room mates in college. I was happiest when I was able to get an apartment and live on my own.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Devotee

East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Hmmm. Sorry you are feeling uncomfortable. My question is this: did you know this girl beforehand, and if so, how well?
I met her on Craigslist because my only girl that is financially stable enough to be a good roommate has her own place and doesn't want to live with anyone (even though she is always complaining she is lonely and for the last year she packs a bag every Friday and stays at her parents house until Sunday night)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Move. I used to have room mates in college. I was happiest when I was able to get an apartment and live on my own.
So did I. I want to live alone so badly, but the only place in my price range is an efficiency the size of a closet and it costs $785. That's not including internet, cable, utilities or washer and dry which you pay with quarters. I want to be on my own, but I don't want to have to use my entire pay check to pay rent (I make about $900 per check)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Devotee

Your concerns seem typical of living with another person whom you don't know. I would give it time and look into your own space if need be. I would rather live in a tiny studio than have a room mate, but I understand that finances or life situations might be a reason.

But why can't you go make yourself a sandwich and take it to your room? You just feel uncomfortable? I would too but remember you are paying her money for those living privileges.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
How much thought did you put into the move before making it?

Why are you so uncomfortable with the roommate? Is it someone that you knew already, or is she a stranger? I love my friends, but I don't want to live with any of them. I tried it once for a year. Not for me. I certainly don't want to live with a stranger. Maybe you're just better suited to living alone. I had no trouble living with my parents, and I love living by myself. It's even been an adjustment for me to live with DH.

Did you know about the dogs before agreeing to the living arrangement? I love my dog . . . but she is not allowed in the room when we are eating. I do not like eating at homes of people who allow dogs in the kitchen during food prep or in the eating areas when food is being served.

I sleep with my windows open a lot, and I don't fret when a door is left open or unlocked. But, I also know my neighborhood really well. We always have the blinds up on the front door, the curtains open in the living room, and the blinds open in the bathroom and kitchen. Could you be worrying about it too much?

I was much, much happier living alone in a small dorm room and later in an "efficiency" apartment (motel that rented by the week) that I was living with a roommate.

I have always had a list of "needs", a list of "wants", and lists of things that negotiable and non-negotiable. Some of it may be the "newness" of it all, and you just need to get used to living in a new situation. It will be especially challenging to come into someone else's space when that person is established in the residence. I would give it awhile longer, and see if things change. Not talking things over with your roommate won't help matters, though. I wouldn't give up just yet, though. A week and a half isn't long at all.

***Sorry I repeated a couple of questions. I replied when there were no replies, but I didn't post until later!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Hmmmm... well, she CHOSE to allow you to move in. So, you shouldn't feel bad about using her TV or having company over. If I got a roommate, I wouldn't think twice if they had company over and were watching tv. That's just how it is when you live with roommates.

I get the feeling about the dogs. I'm not crazy about dogs. But, if you're hungry, then go get food and don't feel bad about bringing it up to your room. Is there a rule about no food in bedrooms?
Old 10-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 3 Other Jobs
So sorry you finally got your own place & then you have to go through all this! I'd be looking to move outta there ASAP. There are way too many things going on that you don't need to deal w/! This is why I've never had a roommate & never plan to.

It looks like most of these issues, like the 1st 4 things you said should have been talked about before you moved in. This is mainly your roommate's fault for not giving you some background of how she does things. I'm most concerned about your safety w/ her leaving doors unlocked & having no blinds. Doesn't she think about people possibly lurking around outside, peeping toms, rapists, etc.? This hasn't been a safe world in a long time, so it's a shame that she behaves so nonchalantly about it.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Devotee

East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ima Teacher View Post
How much thought did you put into the move before making it?

Why are you so uncomfortable with the roommate...Is it someone that you knew already, or is she a stranger?
She is a stranger. I met her on Craigslist and decided to give it a shot because some ladies at work had good experiences doing similar thing. My prefence was to live with someone I know, but my friends are all either: married, not financially stable or not interested in having a roommate.

I may be being a little too cautious, BUT about a 5 - 7 minute drive away from here, is the "bad" part of town. The part where there are shootings, bugularies and such. Where I am now is really nice, but I worry about those others coming here...I know it sounds ridiculous but a long time ago waaaay before I even considered moving where I am, my boyfriend was talking about the neighborhood I live in being a target because the wealthy people who live her have a false sense of security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. I View Post
So sorry you finally got your own place & then you have to go through all this! ...Doesn't she think about people possibly lurking around outside, peeping toms, rapists, etc.? This hasn't been a safe world in a long time, so it's a shame that she behaves so nonchalantly about it.
I couldn't agree more! We are two women living alone and honestly, it annoys me to have to be fully dressed when I go to the kitchen. I can't go down in my underwear and tank top because anyone outside can see me. Even when I am home alone.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I think a lot of it comes with time. Ask her if she has a regular schedule, no big deal. Get a small dorm type fridge and microwave for snacks, drinks, and things like that so you don't have to socialize if you don't want to. Everyone else has covered the other stuff I thought of.

Tags
apartment