A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Third Grade

Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Companion

MD
3rd Grade Teacher
No name papers

I am getting a lot of papers with no names. Do you just give your kids zeros or make them redo it? Do you take the time to find the students who didn't put their names on their papers?

Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by missapril81 View Post
I am getting a lot of papers with no names. Do you just give your kids zeros or make them redo it? Do you take the time to find the students who didn't put their names on their papers?
I'll sit with the pile of papers and read names of the papers that have names...those kids go off to the next activity...the remainders come look at the unsigned papers I have and put their name on.... But I circle the name line and put ???? With bright marker so parents see...
Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Companion

Georgia
7th Grade Math
I give a warning then 5 points off and if it still continues I give 10 points off.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
My kids are seated in alphabetical order. They pass their papers foreward.

Today I got a quiz without a name. I figured out that it belonged to Ryan and wrote his name on it in red.

I realize my kids are older than the OP's, but it's a total non issue in my class.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
My students are older, but I do make attempts to figure out who the papers belong to. I keep "no name" papers clipped together in a basket for students to rummage through. It's not a battle I choose to fight.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Comrade

Teacher
I have kids turn in work in their table folders. So I know if they don't put their name on it, I can guess who it belongs to, put their name on it, and take off points. However, there have been moments where kids don't put papers in the folders or I am pulling papers out and don't pay attention to the names until I have a stack that I am grading. So my backup plan is to create a "lost papers" bucket to put papers. If a student doesn't get their homework, test, etc back, I am going to point them to the "lost papers" bucket.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
When I taught kinder, I would praise the students who remembered the name and make a big deal as I handed their papers to them. Then for the rest, I would put them into a pile and ask them to ID their papers and I would make them write their name on it (I usually do this part doing free play time, because I'm evil like that. ). One thing I do though is teach them the song that goes to the tune of that song, Shave and a Haircut... so it goes, "name on your paper, first thing! Where does it go? At the top!"
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Novice

NC
4th Grade Teacher
STOP Sign

STOP! Is your name on your paper?

Highlight your name with a yellow highlighter.

Go! Now turn your paper into the correct basket.

I can't post attachments, but maybe you can visualize this. Next to a picture of a STOP sign, I have these 3 sentences next to the red, yellow and green light. Hanging beside the sign is a pen and a yellow high lighter. The sign hangs in the way of where students turn in classwork or homework (baskets). Since it's hanging, the students can't help but to see the sign. Having them highlight their name has helped with no name papers. Also, using File13 (the trash can) has helped also.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
I'll sit with the pile of papers and read names of the papers that have names...those kids go off to the next activity...the remainders come look at the unsigned papers I have and put their name on.... But I circle the name line and put ???? With bright marker so parents see...
I do this.

However, one time only about 2 children put their names on for whatever reason. I told them we didn't have time to sort through who's paper was who's and I just handed them back randomly and the students had to finish whatever paper they received. They did not like that, and were more diligent with putting their names on after that!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Teacher 4 View Post

STOP! Is your name on your paper?

Highlight your name with a yellow highlighter.

Go! Now turn your paper into the correct basket.

I can't post attachments, but maybe you can visualize this. Next to a picture of a STOP sign, I have these 3 sentences next to the red, yellow and green light. Hanging beside the sign is a pen and a yellow high lighter. The sign hangs in the way of where students turn in classwork or homework (baskets). Since it's hanging, the students can't help but to see the sign. Having them highlight their name has helped with no name papers. Also, using File13 (the trash can) has helped also.
Good idea. Do you have them highlight all year long, or do you eventually phase this out?

Tags
papers