A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Companion

i hate aesop!

this is my first year subbing full-time and i absolutely hate aesop! i feel like i'm a prisoner in my home because i can't leave my computer. this is the 11th day of school and i've only worked one half day. i realize it is still so early but i'm ready to work! jobs are very competitive in my district so i feel like i will never be able to leave home if i want to work every day!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Companion

USA
I totally understand! I'm shocked when I read about people who see 10 or 20 jobs on their AESOP. I don't think Jobulator works sometimes either. I have been click click clicking all week...and nothing!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyCello View Post
I totally understand! I'm shocked when I read about people who see 10 or 20 jobs on their AESOP. I don't think Jobulator works sometimes either. I have been click click clicking all week...and nothing!
my district doesn't subscribe to jobulator so i use check for change. it works great but the few jobs that have popped up are gone within 10 seconds! hopefully it starts to pick up soon but i know that in my district the most jobs that are on there at one time would be 2-3.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Comrade

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyteacher85 View Post
this is my first year subbing full-time and i absolutely hate aesop! i feel like i'm a prisoner in my home because i can't leave my computer. this is the 11th day of school and i've only worked one half day. i realize it is still so early but i'm ready to work! jobs are very competitive in my district so i feel like i will never be able to leave home if i want to work every day!
I hear you on that. I'm looking at my second year of doing it, and, well, we could say that I'm a little less than excited. lol.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Newcomer

Washington State
Substitute Teacher
Hey, just wanted to offer a useful tip I found out with AESOP- Download Mozilla Firefox, and an add-on called "Check4Change" (just google it!). It's a refresh program that alerts you when there are any changes on the AESOP page- I set mine for refreshing every 2 seconds, and that's it! Very useful, and frees me from sitting in front of the computer all day like I did last year, hitting refresh constantly. Hope that helps! Good luck!
Old 09-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Comrade

USA
I use Jobulator, Mozilla doesn't work well on my Comp for some reason.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Phenom

College admin.
Too bad Aesop doesn't have an app for phones! Or maybe it does?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk View Post
Hey, just wanted to offer a useful tip I found out with AESOP- Download Mozilla Firefox, and an add-on called "Check4Change" (just google it!). It's a refresh program that alerts you when there are any changes on the AESOP page- I set mine for refreshing every 2 seconds, and that's it! Very useful, and frees me from sitting in front of the computer all day like I did last year, hitting refresh constantly. Hope that helps! Good luck!
i use check for change and i think it does help, but you still need to be home in order to get the jobs. every job goes in like 10 seconds so i feel like even though i am using it i still need to be nearby.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Comrade

MI
Math Intervention K-5
I know that this can get tedious, but you can call the Aesop number to check for jobs if you're not at a computer. I did this quite a bit last year, and still do when I don't have access to wifi. Jobulator is supposed to be "going mobile" sometime soon, but I won't pay for it, so I just make sure I check early and check often!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Cohort

Midwest
Music Teacher
I've never had a problem getting jobs off of Aesop. I sub in multiple districts which really helps! Two of the districts where I sub use subfinder. It is way harder to get jobs off of subfinder! If you can, I would sign up in more than one district. Sometimes districts can have dry spells for subs. If you are in more than one district, that helps to even it out and get you working everyday.

This will be my third year of subbing and I have been so busy! After I get a job, I put that I am unavailable in the automated systems for the other districts. I still end up having assistant principals call me. Give it some time. You'll start getting busy!

Tags
aesop, hate