A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 09-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Companion

Indiana
1st Grade Teacher
Fun way to teach phonics

I am looking for a fun way to teach phonics sounds (blends, digraphs, long/short vowels) - not the alphabet or consonant sounds. Any ideas? I don't want to just write br- tr- etc. on the board every week. I thought about using puppets but I don't think I can find or think of a new one for every sound! Not a whole activity but a 3 minute deal. Just something quick yet cute!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Rookie

GA
Early Childhood Teacher
I'm student teacher right now in a first grade classroom. For phonics we do a making words activity from this book. http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Seq.../dp/0887245811. The kids love it, each week we focus on a new letter pattern. They have the letters on their desk and they move the letters around to make words. I believe this is their favorite part of the day and I honestly love doing it! I hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
I like to sing along to a cd that covers those sounds. I forgot the name of it, but I'm sure you could google something!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Companion

new york
I play "musical chairs" with words that follow the phonics pattern I am working on. I print off small words to put on their desks, and they have out their dry-erase boards and their markers on their desk. I play music and when the music stops they must stop at the nearest desk and read the word and then write the word. I walk around and they read them to me and I can assist them if they have trouble... the kids love it and I love it!
Old 10-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
We worked on ar sounds and I saw a short, 2-minute lesson online on youtube. It was something different, and the kids liked it. It's not something you would do every time, but I think it's nice to change it up a bit.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Novice

Kansas
Kindergarten Teacher
Sounds Fun Phonics at Heidisongs.com is AWESOME! There is a song, dance, and flashcards for many of the common spelling patterns- ing, ink, sh, th, ou, ew and many more..... and the kids love it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Novice

Kansas
Kindergarten Teacher
Also, you can use Kagan strategies like quiz, quiz, trade. Pass out flashcards with words that have the phonics spelling of the week. Kids should high five to pair up, quiz each other, give compliments, trade, and repeat with a new partner. We do this at least once a day with any skill/subject.

Tags
fun, phonics, teach