A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 09-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Rookie

NJ
how to draw people/animals

Lots of times in Kindergarten classes, we ask our students to draw themselves or someone else. I have this one student who just won't draw people or animals! He says he doesn't know how, and no matter how much encouragement I offer, he just seems not to want to try. It is obvious that he has just never been taught to draw people or animals, but I'm not sure how to go about teaching it! I am DEFINITELY not an artist, myself. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Old 09-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I wouldn't teach him how to do it...I'd give him real pictures of animals to look at and a variety of art supplies to explore with.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Rookie

California
Middle School Math
Could he trace some or use stencils, until he gets the confidence to do it freehand?
Old 09-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
I wonder if he would be more willing to try with fingerpaint. That might be a more natural way to ease him into it.

If you don't have any fingerpaints, you can use shaving cream right on the desk or table. When you spread it out and rub it, it disappears so he might feel better when he realizes it will go away.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Habitué

North Georgia
5th Grade Teacher
I teach them by using shapes. For example, the head is a circle. The body is a rectangle. The legs and arms are rectangles. Then the eyes are circles the mouth is a half circle etc.

Does that help?
Old 09-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
I agree with the shapes idea. Writing workshop has a lesson on drawing where you emphasize that all drawings are from shapes and lines. You can show them how to draw a house with a square and triangle roof and rectangle windows/doors and people as mentioned above.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I like the shapes idea, but I hesitate to teach kids a specific way to draw anything...I remember when teaching kindergarten kids would draw adorable pictures of happy round birds...only to be replaced later by 'V' birds...I think sometimes their creativity gets replaced with thoughts of the 'right way' to draw things...
Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
I agree with you completely, czacza!
Old 09-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Rookie

NJ
he did great!

Thanks everyone! Here's what I ended up doing - I showed my own example as a model, but also said that we're all unique and so everyone's picture will be unique, etc. I suggested starting with a circle for the head. I also emphasized that not everyone is an artist, including myself! -- And that's OK. Provided lots of encouragement as they worked, and it turned out that the boy who was so concerned about "not being able to draw people" did a truly fantastic job!!

Some great ideas here for the future, so thanks again! I love the idea of finger paint - it's almost "expected" that the picture would be a little messy and thus, imperfect. I am a new teacher though, and need to ease my way into the fingerpaints! I can imagine that fingerpaint-day could be one chaotic day.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Cohort

Illinois
Preschool/Kindergarten
We do Handwriting with out tears and in that program they introduce mat man. Mat man is usded to teach body parts and how to draw a person, but also how to make lines and shapes they will need for writing. After introducing Mat Man I am amazed by their pictures and they love drawing after that. They also have a song to go with it and books. Here is a web site with more information.

http://www.hwtears.com/hwt/learning-...-man/classroom

Tags
draw, people or animals