A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Rookie

WV
Special Education Teacher
Classroom Fundraising Ideas??

I wanted to get some fresh ideas on fundraisers for my class. Last year we sold flower bulbs and candy, but I want to get away from the usual stuff that people are tired of. We also sent out donation request letters, which we plan to do again.

This won't be a school-wide fundraiser, but just for my class and another special educator's class. Last year we raised enough money to take our students to the aquarium, and this year I want to do bigger and better!

I've googled fundraisers but can't really find anything that seems worthy.

Thank you!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Companion

MI
We collect boxtops, and are looking at running the school store this year.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Comrade

Georgia
Your class could start a recycling drive at your school... our school makes money from aluminum cans and capri-sun pouches. They also were able to get money from empty chip bags but I'm not sure how that worked. Might could look into it though.

Another idea is to sell candy-grams for Valentine's Day. Students can pay $1 to send a candy-gram message to another student. Your students could sell the candy grams and help deliver around the school.

Do you teach at elementary or high school level? At my old high school the special needs class ran a coffee shop every morning. In the coffee shop they also sold school spirit merchandise, coffee mugs with their school emblem, t-shirts, etc. It was a HUGE success but alot of planning and work went into it.

Other hit fundraisers at our elementary school include: selling the large stadium pickles at lunch, 1 for $1, set up a school store in the mornings with pencils, etc., $1 hat days, $5 jeans passes for teachers, for our Special Olympics fundraiser one year our prinicpal let me raffle off one paid day off for a teacher. Teachers paid $3 per raffle ticket and the winner got a day off that did not count against their personal/sick leave!! That was a big hit at our school.

If I think of any others I'll let you know.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Rookie

WV
I love the idea of raffling off a paid day for a teacher! That is an awesome idea. I'm going to mention that one to my principal and see what she thinks.

I teach in an intermediate school (3rd-5th grades) with about 30 other teachers.

You have a lot of great ideas. I like the school store too. Thanks!!

Tags
classroom, fundraising, ideas