A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Comrade

Kindergarten Teacher
Pre-K Word Walls

First of all, how important is it that the alphabet be going horizontally all the way across? I'm not sure about space, so I was thinking of doing 3 rows of it.

Second of all, what about doing it on trifold boards that stand up? I feel like that could make it more interactive and I could just stand them up somewhere in the room. Has anyone tried this? How did it work?

Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate all the help I've been given over the past couple weeks as a new Pre-K teacher.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
Tri-folds are too tall for them to reach sitting on a table and they knock them over all the time.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Ohio
Special Education - Preschool
I have mine in two rows. In the past I've had it spread out across a few different pieces of furniture. I don't think having it in a row (or even in order) is that important at the preschool level. What I'm trying to teach is that 1) there are letters 2) this is what they look like and 3) these words start with those letters. I have it under the board that has all of my circle time stuff on it. They come in and hang their names under the correct letter.

In the past I have only put names on the word wall and used it to point out a letter if it came up during the day. I may use some other words this year towards the end.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Preschool Teacher
I've tried word walls and don't find much learning value at this age. They learn more from their names on coat hooks and basket, finding their friends names, even learning how to write all of the names. I find word walls add a lot of useless clutter to my walls and I like a calming environment, which means large art displays with teacher dictation written near them.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Comrade

Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink View Post
I have mine in two rows. In the past I've had it spread out across a few different pieces of furniture. I don't think having it in a row (or even in order) is that important at the preschool level. What I'm trying to teach is that 1) there are letters 2) this is what they look like and 3) these words start with those letters. I have it under the board that has all of my circle time stuff on it. They come in and hang their names under the correct letter.

In the past I have only put names on the word wall and used it to point out a letter if it came up during the day. I may use some other words this year towards the end.
Thank you! I love how you have them hang their names under their correct letter! I was trying to figure out a "check-in" routine, so I'm gonna include that! Your point about what the purpose is is very valid! Thanks!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Comrade

Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammy Teacher View Post
I've tried word walls and don't find much learning value at this age. They learn more from their names on coat hooks and basket, finding their friends names, even learning how to write all of the names. I find word walls add a lot of useless clutter to my walls and I like a calming environment, which means large art displays with teacher dictation written near them.
I'm hoping to add words associated with our themes as well, rather than just names.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Novice

Oregon
Early Childhood Teacher
My little word wall is in 4 rows, on the wall right next to our writing center. It has the children's names and we add words related to our studies as well. For my group, I do believe it has educational value. The kids are constantly asking me to add new words to the word wall... their siblings names, their favorite foods, their favorite TV characters, etc. They are very interested in the word wall, which letters have the most words, trying to think of words for the letters that don't have any words, etc.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
Am I the only one that thinks word walls are inappropriate for preschoolers?
Old 09-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Comrade

Midwest
I don't use a word wall, and I never felt they were very appropriate as long as the room has a large amount of environmental print. I did consider doing one this year, but decided not. I have very limited wall space as is.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
Maybe the word walls validity depends on the group. We do a lot of things that may seem in other venues like it is out of place for a small child. However, due to the interest of the children and their passion for continuing it....it works for us. If one were testing or requiring properly spelled words I think even the word wall users would balk. I don't think that is how they are using it. I have no word wall most because I can't give up that kind of space....however, I constantly see children finding the word in the books we have read and putting those words on pictures as labels. I have taught them the "look it up" phrase for what they are doing, so now they say...."oh, I need to look that word up". It is sorta a show stopper when it happens! However, I didn't do it on purpose....they did it. I would say please be very careful how much space and time is given to word walls in a Preschool room, I am among the folks that worry.

Tags
prek, walls, word