A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > First Grade

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Do you do small groups in first grade?

Hi! I am joining a new school this year and am also new to first grade. I mainly taught kindergarten prior to the move. In kindergarten and first grade at my old school, small groups were a big part of the day. In kindergarten my work stations were not dramatic play, toy, block, or etc. related, they were very academic with a lot of hands on literacy based materials, and very effective. Based on Debbie Dillers books...I love her!!!
Anyways where I will be teaching this year, I don't think they really do small groups in first, they pull kids for guided reading, then the rest of the class works on the same assignment. I am going to be in a VERY good school, with a spectacular reputation, so I know they are not doing anything wrong. They just do not seem to do all that much differentiation from what the teachers have said, but I am still getting tips from them, so they may do it in a different manner. However, small groups have been the key to my instruction and during my interview the principal and interview team really liked my answers about differentiation. There is no required one way run your class at this school, so I should I do what I want, but would it be bad for me to be the only one doing small groups?? Also how many of your first grade teachers use small groups to differentiate your instruction?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
Absolutely! For reading, I basically do a modified version of the Daily 5, in which I add a computer rotation (for phonics/word work).

This year, I have to add math work stations, and I'm working on those!

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 08-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Companion

South Florida
I am not teaching yet but I have been drilled about cooperative learning. My internship was at a school that keeps all students in all grades in groups all day long. I was in a first grade class.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:44 AM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
It seems that your new school does do small groups if they pull for guided reading, right? Are you asking if we do small groups (guided reading and such) or if we have work stations?

For the record, I do have small groups in math and reading... and if needed, I pull small groups during any time of the day. My district does do literacy stations.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I guess I meant stations or workshop. I guess I just always called the whole process small groups because I think of everyone being in a small group, not just the group I am working with. Ok, I think I still might do them, I find them to be highly effective and the kids really like them. I was just curious! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 AM
Companion

Missouri
Primary Elementary Teacher
Yes we do small groups in the classroom. While I pull kids for reading group, we have another teacher work with students for word work on the other side of the classroom. The remaining two groups are either reading to self, or reading to someone during that time, then we switch. It works well!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input. It is nice to see how different people do things. I wish we had a para or another teacher to help!!

Tags
grade, groups, small