A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 11-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
Correcting Papers

During a staff meeting at our school we had a discussion on how we mark things correct or incorrect on students papers. For example, if it's right do you check it, put a c next to it, leave it alone, circle it, star it, etc or if its students do you put an x,circle,slash,leave it alone, or write minus the amount of points? We also discussed where to mark a problem incorrect (the problem number or next to the answer) My colleagues and I would greatly appreciate any ways you mark papers/

Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Comrade

Stuttgart, AR
Band, Choir, 5th/6th gen music
I generally mark the correct answer on multiple choice, matching, true false, etc... to mark it wrong. They use their tests to study for later tests, so they need the correct answer for this to be truely effective.

On essays I put -the number of points.

Last edited by sdhudgins; 11-07-2005 at 08:40 PM. Reason: poorly worded the first time!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Many times when I'm correcting papers I put a 'c' or a check mark on the question # or next to the answer. I do this because when I put the score at the top of the page I count the number correct and write the # correct over the total # of questions.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
JW, how do you mark the correct answer with a check mark, or a c?Beth, I also use C's I am wondering if it's an MA thing. What school district in Ma do you teach in?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
I teach kindergarten so i don't really correct too much b/c I don't give tests only assessments. When I check homework I just put a large C with a Star. Sometimes I just put a smiley face. One child told me her mom prefers the stars apparently they think the stars are better than the smiley faces! I try not to use red marker when doing the correcting.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Comrade

Stuttgart, AR
Band, Choir, 5th/6th gen music
I've heard green is the color to use.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
I have heard that too but I pick a marker from the marker box and that is the color for the day.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Habitué

New Mexico, USA
Developmental Preschool
Personally I grade in purple or green. I put a check next to correct problems and an X by incorrect problems. I use discretion when giving partial credit to students. For example I put a minus 1/2 if I feel they know what they are doing. If the student is really not getting it I write "please redo" on the top and stop scoring.

Some of my high school and college teachers (for math) would return our test with the problems we got wrong X in red. We were told rework the problems and see what you did wrong. When it wasn't for a direct grade I wouldn't do the corrections. If it was for a GRADE I did the corrections much more than Extra Credit. (Also I learned the math concepts much better that way)
Old 11-08-2005, 04:16 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
I put a check mark for correct and circle incorrect responses.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:15 AM
Devotee

Mid-Michigan
Middle School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhudgins
I generally mark the correct answer on multiple choice, matching, true false, etc... to mark it wrong. They use their tests to study for later tests, so they need the correct answer for this to be truely effective..
I do the same thing on their quizzes, which are often the basis for later tests. For other assignments I put a check mark next to INcorrect answers. I see that is different from the rest of you so far; yet, that is what I grew up with, was used in college and what the teachers in this school use. Wonder if it is a regional thing? I once had an aid from the east who used to help me correct papers (objective assignments) and she used a c next to correct answers when she first started. I thought the paper looked so cluttered with all those c's and of course the kids were totally confused since they were used to their correct answers being left alone , or a comment being written next to it where warrented.

I generally put a percentage correct on the bottom of each paper. for writing assignments I use a rubric.

I use green, purple, aqua, red, whatever colored pen is handy.

Tags
correcting, papers