A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Third Grade

Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Devotee

USA
HMH Journeys Reading Series (Copyright 2011)

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has used the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Journeys Reading series this past year. If so, what were the pros and cons of this reading series?

Also, I was wondering if anyone make other spelling lists to go with this reading series. I am looking to see create differentiated spelling lists for next year. I am wondering if there is a website that has the different spelling lists we can use.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Companion

TX
I used the Journeys series this year. It's pretty good, but it has way more than we needed. The stories were great and were aligned with some of our social studies standards. They also covered the different genres. The readers that come with the series are hit and miss. Some are good, but others are not. If you plan on using the book for grammar, it's all in there, but we just didn't have time to use everything that came with it. Also, the resource kit with reproducibles was fairly useless except for the comprehension tests. There is so much included in the series that it is extremely overwhelming. Overall, I liked it, but I'm not sure I used it as much as I probably could have.

The spelling lists that are included are okay, but we tended to supplement with words that we were learning in other subjects, especially for writing.

Tags
2011, copyright, hmh, journeys, reading, series