A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Rookie

Southern Ca
Business/Math
**DEMO*** Math Lesson

Hello,

I recently received my FLM in Mathematics Preliminary Credential and am able to receive interviews from my resume so I'm guessing it's not my resume.

Most schools are calling me back for a Demo Lesson and then interview. I never make it past the Demo Lesson.

I use Powerpoint and then give the students a sheet start with Objectives, Vocabulary and then sample problems, and then a group activity. What am I doing wrong?

How can I spice up my Demo Lesson? I'm desperate any feedback is appreciated. I stared out with a Business Credential and just recently added my Math. I can't seem to find a job in Southern California? I'm hoping to land a job by August.

Thank You in advance,

Patty

Old 06-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Rookie

Research the specific district and see if they have any lesson formats they follow! A lot of times you can find something about that on the curriculum & instruction part of their website and then have your lesson mirror their format!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Companion

CA
Math Teacher
California. CLAD. ELD. ELL. SDAIE. MI. CST. Assessments.

Hi Patty. It's great that someone is posting math interviews/demo questions from California. I was in some sort of a panel interview yesterday for a math teaching position in middle school and high school which lasted close to two hours. Some sort of panel interview because all four applicants (3 for math 1 for special ed) were bunched in one group, were asked several questions together, and were told to present a solution, as a group, to a typical math classroom problem (40% failing or C/D). It went well. I was the only intern - no prelim teaching credential.

It's also great that you made it to the demo part which means you are doing well.

I don't know your exact lesson plan, but I was asked in the interview yesterday, "What three EL strategies have you used in the classroom?" I've used Picture File ( a picture is worth a thousand words, cliche but important), Four Corners Vocabulary, Go To Your Corner, and Canned Questions, a game similar to Family Feud to assess. That means that if I were a member of the panel, immediately I will watch for this one in your lesson plan. I will also look for a lesson that makes use of the 8 or 9 multiple intelligences present in every student. There was one CSET examinee, here, who passed CSET math memorizing a rap on Youtube about the formula for a quadratic equation the day before his exam. By the mere fact, that you have reached this part, I think you have great communications skills so delivering the lesson should be easy for you. The rest is unquantifiable. The "IT" factor as what they call it: your passion for teaching, teaching the most boring topic and make it exciting for your students, your concern for your students, etc.

I'm only a sub and an intern. There are a lot of geniuses in this forum. Wait for their advice. Take mine with a grain of salt.

All the best in your search.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 AM
Companion

Georgia
7th Grade Math
Have you tried a hands-on lesson involving group work? I presented a lesson plan to my principal for 8th grade covering the Pythagorean theorem. I covered the information about the Pythagorean theorem and then had the students split up into groups. There were triangles of different colors and sizes scattered about the room and the groups moved from triangle to triangle measuring the two legs and the hypotenuse. They would then use the Pythagorean theorem to determine whether the triangle was a right triangle or not. He seemed to like it, I got the job. I don't know what grade you are shooting for or if GA lessons are set up differently then CA but its an idea. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Rookie

Southern Ca
Business/Math
Galois - It's nice to hear from you again. I have used this discussion board in all my teaching assistance. From my Math CSET's to My Cover Letter.

I now needed help with my Demo Lessons. I did read some really good demo lesson advise and also I spoke with my teacher friends to assist me in giving a lesson.

I'm still applying for jobs and hope to receive one this August. I'm currently working on my Last CSET in Math. My Preliminary Credential expires in 2 more years and I hope this job market turns around.

Bye the way, did I hear you right? You had an interview as an intern student. This is great! What school are you at for your credential?

Math1abee- Thank You for the idea. I'm going to use this when I have to teach one day! I liked your hands on idea.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:50 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptycast View Post
Hello,

I use Powerpoint and then give the students a sheet start with Objectives, Vocabulary and then sample problems, and then a group activity. What am I doing wrong?

I understand that you want to show that you can use technology, but I don't think that's what they're looking for. I think they're looking to see you:
a) explain a concept
b) engage and interact with the kids.

And the way your lesson is structured, I'm not sure you're doing either as much as you probably could.

How a lesson on the value of pi? Bring in a bunch of circular objects, some string, and some rulers. Have the kids measure the circumference-- wrap the string around, then measure the length of the string. Then they should measure the diameter. Divide the circumference by the diameter and, no matter the size of the circle, they should get 3.1315....

I think I would start by saying it's an experiment, and not warn them about the results. Then keep track on the board of the 3 values as they come in. Talk about how amazed the ancient Greeks were when they made the discovery. Joke about how they didn't name it "PIE"-- they chose the Greek version of "Let's call it 'x' !!"

If you want to then use technology, bring in a laptop and pull up the fist 10,000 digits of pi.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Devotee

7th/8th Grade Math
I agree with Alice, a discovery based activity with the hands-on activities.

What topic is your demo lesson? Maybe we can provide a lot of ideas in this forum for a specific topic.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Connoisseur

California
SPED 9-12
Things that worked for me: Interact with the students ... don't teach or lecture. Move around the classroom as much as possible - don't just teach from the front of the room. You many want to start with questioning prior knowledge and then perhaps have your students do something that involves higher level thinking. Sometimes the interviewers want to see if you will have a good rapport with their student population, so engage the students as much as possible. I'd also try to avoid any handouts or worksheets, if possible. And, choose a lesson that your students will be able to grasp easily and possibly master.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Rookie

Southern Ca
Business/Math
Hi Alice, Marci, and Devotee,

The demo lesson they chose for me was the slope-intercept form. Not one of my favorite topics. I tend to like Geometry better but most schools perfer to view an Algebra lesson. I'm open to concepts and suggestions in Algebra since that is what most employers have interviewed me on. Any ideas or suggestions? I welcome. I have my next interview this Wed.

Thank you in advance,
Patty
Old 06-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I don't have anything too creative; this is pretty much a cut and dried topic.

You will, of course, want to use some form of graph paper. Graphing a line without it will be sloppy and inaccurate.

Depending on the time you have, you could always start off knowing the equation, graph the line using a chart, then have them come up with the slope and the y-intercept. (Where does this graph intercept-- or hit-- the y-axis? what do you notice abou the equation and that point....)

But I wouldn't use a Powerpoint (then again, I never have.) I think it locks you too much into what you had assumed the kids would say.

Tags
demo, lesson, math