A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Secondary Education Archives

Old 10-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Rookie

NY, North Eastern United States
6th Grade Math Centers!!

Hello!! I would like to start math centers with my 6th graders and don't know where to start! I would like to work with one group of students, but I need to find some fun/engaging/academically challenging activities for the remaining students. This seems difficult especially because I have a group of 33 students. I would really appreciate any suggestions !! Thanks =)

Old 10-11-2005, 08:35 PM

Florida
There are several wonderful and challenging games that can be used very well in groups - especially with 6th grade social butterflies.

Set
Equations

Even tangram challenges or pentaminoes would work.

Logic puzzles (the grid type like 'the man with the yellow hat lives next door to the woman with the red hair'...)

Creating floor plans (ration/scale)

Anagrams

Magic Squares
Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Habitué

2/3 Split
What about a center that deals with math facts? There are SEVERAL 6th graders at my school who still have trouble with facts... but they would NEVER want to do flash cards.
I have had success with "Math Dice." I use a clear container with a screw-on lid. I glue a circle of felt on the inside bottom and then I put in 2 dice. The kids shake it and multiply the numbers. For those gifted students, how about adding a 12-sided dice?

I have a "Math Games" center with several games that the kids just love- Blink, Yatzee, Triominoes, Brick-by-Brick, Rush Hour. I figure the more they wake up their brains, the better it is!

Have you seen the Soduko (sp?) number squares? They are really neat! You can sometimes find them in the paper near the crossword puzzle (or in that section). It is a 9x9 grid broken up into 9 squares (3x3 each). Each small square has to have the numbers 1-9 and each row and column also has to have the numbers 1-9. GET YOUR BRAIN IN GEAR!

Hope this helps!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
For the math facts, use flashcards, but turn it into a game for two: the first student to get the math fact right wins the card.

Sudoku is cool! My local Barnes & Noble is featuring it right now with books by people like Will Shortz (who edits puzzles for The New York Times) among others. There was at least one book of easy ones, and if students start out by working together, they'll quite likely get the hang of it pretty quickly.

With a couple of sets of RPG dice, you could also have kids work on some really interesting aspects of probability. RPGs (=role-playing games) don't use just six-sided dice: they have four-sided dice and eight-sided dice and ten-sided dice and twelve-sided dice and 20-sided dice. You could have kids work out how many ways you can roll a 7 with two six-sided dice as opposed to how many ways you can roll a 7 with one twelve-sided die. You can also have them explore Platonic solids, since all but the ten-sided dice are Platonic solids. A Platonic solid has sides all of which are identical in size and shape and regular (the cube has squares, the dodecahedron has 12 pentagons, the rest have equilateral triangles); it can be inscribed inside a sphere so that all its vertices touch the sphere, and it can be circumscribed outside a sphere so that all its sides touch the sphere. And the tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron, and icosahedron (20-sided) are the only ones that exist.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Rookie

Thank you all for the great ideas! Just the types of things I was looking for to engage them in math, thanks again =)
Old 10-14-2005, 01:08 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
A good resource for them might be Usborne's ILLUSTRATED DICTIONARY OF MATH, ISBN 0-7945-0662-3 paper, which explains math concepts through beginning trig clearly and includes Web links.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:40 PM
Cohort

PA
Math tutor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upsadaisy
There are several wonderful and challenging games that can be used very well in groups - especially with 6th grade social butterflies.
Set
Equations(...)
How funny, we have the game 24 as well! It's one of most well know Math games for 5/6th grade. Kids love this game over here... Last year, the school I taught in organized a 24 competition. It was interesting to realize that some kids were faster than some teachers, playing it (Of course I'm not talking about myself, nope... )

Great ideas on this thread.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Novice

SD
Explanation of 24???
Old 11-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Teacher~
Explanation of 24???
Yes..can anyone offer a brief explanation? I vaguely rememember playing that game when I was in middle school but do not remember the details! thanx
Old 11-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Cohort

PA
Math tutor
Wait a second, I'l provide a link...TeacherGroupie has explained it already on a different thread.

Tags
6th, centers, grade, math