A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Companion

Texas
Alternative Careers for Teachers

What are some alternative careers for teachers outside of a school setting? With school districts only hiring displaced and laid off teachers I feel I must consider other options. I would prefer something full time, and that pays decent, so tutoring and child-care jobs are not an option for me because of the low pay. Any ideas?

Old 06-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Rookie

Pittsburgh, PA
I feel the same way. I can't even find a job at Home Depot right now. I have 10 years teaching and nothing, just letters saying that we regret to inform you that you were not selected.

I just applied to be a car salesman and I believe I got the job. I can't believe how bad things are. Even my friends that are teachers with secure jobs are miserable. They have all suffered pay cuts and rising health care costs.

This is a bad time for teachers and I hate to say I think it will get worse.

I am finding it so difficult to transfer to an industry career and not teach. But I have a wife and daughter to provide for.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Comrade

Texas
zoos, museums, nature centers...places you might field trip
Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Little City on the Prairie
Former math teacher
I'm in banking.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I do lots of freelance writing.

You could look into working for ETS or any of the educational publishers.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Rookie

NC
JobSeeker
I was turned down from Target recently. Unfortunately, some interviewers seem the think that you can only teach with a degree in education. Honestly, we're awesome multi-taskers and managers.

I did find a tutoring position that was full time (no benefits though) and I was paid teacher pay. It was in a public school so keep your eyes peeled for opportunities like that. The downside was no benefits and if children weren't there I was not paid.

Hospitals are worth looking into. I scored an interview for an administrative position with decent pay/ benefits and unfortunately was not chosen.

Rehabilitation centers for juveniles need educators from what I hear too. I'm returning back to school for a new career should I not find employment this summer but before I literally applied to everything that seemed like it might have benefits and decent pay.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Companion

Illinois
Looking for Employment
I am worried about not getting hired. My plan for the fall if I am not employed is to continue subbing in my area. I got plenty of calls from March until the end of May between a school and a co-op program. I may look into a part time job that I can work nights and weekends but I don't want to take myself out of the education area. Luckily, I am still living at home so I don't have to worry about some of the other issues of rent and the like.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Habitué

Illinois
8th Grade Math and Science
You can always be an aide or a sub for the year while looking for a full time position.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Companion

Texas
I did sub this past year and it led to nowhere cause my district along with all districts in my area are on a hiring freeze. Plus no benefits. Teacher aides are paid so lowly ($16,000 a year or less).

I do live at home so I don't have to worry about rent right now. But I hate living at home, and am 30 years old and feel its time to move out. I can't just wait for the economy to get better and finally move out when I'm 35. Got to start living my own life away from home.

I really don't know what I'll do. I've looked at the museums in my area, and none have any education jobs available right now and I just can't sit home and wait for one to turn up. Thinking I may even try to get a job as a receptionist just so I can start making money and move out.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
I worked part time as a Christian Ed director at 2 different churches while being a SAHM. They were in pretty high demand - I had 2 churches bidding for me when I relocated. Now, there are more colleges offering it as a major but when I got my jobs, they were specifically looking for education majors. Some of the churches have day cares and require an education degree to oversee the general operations as well.

Tags
alternative, careers, teachers