A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 10-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Devotee

USA
Gifts for Student Teacher

Hi All-

This is my first time being a cooperating teacher this semester. I am looking for some ideas to give to my student teacher at the end of the semester.

I have one idea: I was going to send home a letter to the parents telling them about when the student teacher's last day would be and that I would like to celebrate with the class. I thought of giving parents a list of items that they can purchase for the student teacher if they want to participate and buy something. Optional of course.

I would love to here some ideas that you have given to your student teachers or received as a student teacher.

Thanks for all your help.

Jen

Old 10-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Habitué

south eastern US
I was a student teacher last year and I had 2 CTs. At the end of the year they gave me a cute bracelet that had educational charms on it (not expensive, but a great gift!) and they gave me a $50 gift certificate to use in a teacher's store
Old 10-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Comrade

Wisconsin
2nd Grade Teacher
Great ideas so far! One thing I got when I student taught (3rd graders) that I loved, was a bound/laminated book that the class made. It's called 'Tips for Being a Great Teacher'. They have such cute ideas and great pictures! I still look at it.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Habitué

New Mexico, USA
Special Education Teacher
WITeach reminded me of the gift the class gave me last semester. They gave me a book thanking me for being in the classroom. One little boy who was always board wrote that he loved the assignment I did using Milo and the Mysterious Island by Marcus Pfister. He always looked so bored and was the first to remind me and my teaching partner about sharing the endings they wrote. Another wrote how much she loved coming to school when we were there. That simple classmade book made me feel so happy.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
My CT gave me a $40 gift card to Staples which has really come in handy. The class made me cards and a few brought cards and little gifts from home. We also had an ice cream sundae party my last day there. I think sending a list of gift ideas home with the kids would be a great idea. There are plenty of inexpensive teacher essentials that would be very helpful to your student teacher!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
Comrade

West Virginia, USA
I encouraged my parents to write cards or letters indicating how well they thought my student teacher had worked with their children. The cards and letters made a great addition for her portfolio and were very inexpensive for the parents. I gave her a copy of THE FIRST DAYS OF SCHOOL HOW TO BE AN EFFECTIVE TEACHER Harry K. Wong and Rosemary Tripi Wong. Our school made business cards for each of the student teachers listing their degrees, certifications, etc. We put them in fancy card holders.

Then we gave them the greatest gift of all. We kept them busy with sub work until they were hired full time.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
My CT's each gave me a little surprise party. I wasn't expecting it. The kids did a great job at keeping it a secret. Here are some the things I recieved:
A teacher Bag
A teacher clipboard
Gift certificates to educaiton stores
cards from all the kids
a basket full of teacher goodies:sticky notes, pens, markers, stickers, stamps, stamp pads, pencils, stapler, staples, teacher scissors, and more.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Cohort

Texas
My mentor teacher gave me a gc to Lakeshore
Old 10-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Novice

I went through 4 internships and student teaching. Here are some things that I got: surprise parties, formal letters from every student thanking me, laminated books with pictures in from kindergarten students, flowers, a cd with all the picture on it that the cooperating teacher took during the semester so i could print them off and use them in my portfolio, letters of recommendation, a sprout from a spider plant (planted in a beautiful pot.....and it was from the teachers plant which she got when she was student teaching), "teacher ideas".......but the best gift I think I received is knowing that my CT from student teaching will always be there to listen and for advice.....I still keep in touch with my CT. She still gives me advice and also materials. Many of my formal classmates say their CT does not talk to them anymore and are really disappointed!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:14 AM
Enthusiast

My CT had the kids make me one of those LLBean canvas bags...they all signed it and she had my name embroidered on it. Then, she sent home a letter to the parents asking if they'd donate something to fill the bag - a book or some sort of school supply item. I still have and use the bag.

Other good things: There is a great book called Mrs. Sprizer's Garden (I think), and it's very sweet. I'd have all the kids sign the inside cover.

Or have them sign a plain umbrella, using fabric markers.

Or sign a plain glass vase, using paint markers, and have each child bring her a flower for her last day.

Kim

Tags
gifts, student, teacher