A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 05-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Rookie

United States
Exit tickets-especially Reading teachers!

What do you do for exit tickets?

Old 05-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Connoisseur

GED & Science Teacher
I'm not a reading teacher, but I did sometimes use exit tickets based on supplemental readings. When I gave the kids a current event reading, for example, an article on NASA funding, I would start the class by having them write out their thoughts or opinions on the topic. Then we would read and continue class. As an exit ticket, they would reflect briefly on whether or not their thoughts had changed based on our lesson.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
It depends what we were teaching...I might have them use their vocabulary words in a sentence, write down one spelling word they want to practice, describe how they can tell when they use a strategy, write down one connect to the story we are reading....
Old 06-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Companion

West Virgnia
English
Like Mopar said, it depends on what I was teaching. It is usually a quick sentence in response to what I taught or if grammar, a practice sentence to see if they "got it."
Old 06-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Aficionado

Indiana
High School Social Studies
For my APUSH and AP Euro classes, I printed free business cards from Vista print as my "exit tickets."

The card says "On the back, write one thing you learned to day and analyze how it fits in our current unit/connection to previous units. Complete sentences, complete thoughts and analytical thinking required."

They have worked great for me and my students.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 AM
Newcomer

USA
It is different depending on what it is I am trying to assess. Sometimes I have a quick assessment that is printed up that I use at the end of the lesson. Sometimes I have a question that I have the students answer on a sticky note that they post somewhere before leaving.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Fanatic

Texas, USA
Teacher/Instructional Coach
I use the exit tickets simply... What have you learned today? What made an impact on you? How will you use this information in the future?

My exit questions are always about what they have learned from our lesson of the day and how what they are learning effects them and their future as well as what kind of impact this learning has on their daily life. And yes, these exit questions are for my language arts kids.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 AM
Companion

Iowa
Middle School Teacher
I use exit tickets in science. They are a great way to gather formative data!

We have one Big Idea for each of our science units, so sometimes the exit ticket prompt is something like, "How does what we learned today relate to our Big Idea?" I like to use exit tickets to find out more than what they learned that day, but do they actually see the POINT of the lesson each day?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
Companion

Nevada
Middle School Math
Quote:
Originally Posted by INteacher View Post
For my APUSH and AP Euro classes, I printed free business cards from Vista print as my "exit tickets."

The card says "On the back, write one thing you learned to day and analyze how it fits in our current unit/connection to previous units. Complete sentences, complete thoughts and analytical thinking required."

They have worked great for me and my students.
What a cool idea! Exit tickets are encouraged in my school and I think I would love to use the business cards. Can I ask you how you had your students turn them in? Did you have a basket at the door for them to drop it in or did you walk around and collect them?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Aficionado

Indiana
High School Social Studies
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxstar View Post
What a cool idea! Exit tickets are encouraged in my school and I think I would love to use the business cards. Can I ask you how you had your students turn them in? Did you have a basket at the door for them to drop it in or did you walk around and collect them?
I have a small rectangle plastic basket, the ones that come from Wal-Mart sold the packs of three for about $1 ~ this these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-...e-3pk/16408670

Here's an example that I made on Vistaprint

Tags
exit, reading, teachers, ticketsespecially