A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Rookie

Ca
Preschool Teacher
Crying child

This is the first time that I have ever posted here, but I am having some issues with a child in my class. I am a instructional assistant in a special needs preschool. For the past month we have had a child with autism who just cries all day long. He has been in our program for almost 2 years now, and he just cries at a drop of a hat. I so desperately want to help, but at this point it seems nothing will console him. On Thursday, he had a great day because I was able to distract him and read him a few books to soothe him and he managed to have a terrific day. Yesterday, I tried the same thing and I thought I was making some headway, but the certificated teacher told me to stop comforting him and that this was "being spoiled" and instructed him to go lay on the pillows until he could stop crying. He remained crying on the pillows for the whole 3 1/2 that he was at the school. I am not trying to badmouth this teacher, but she is an older lady who doesn't do anything, but gossip. I mean I and the other aids basically run the class while she just does what she wants. The other aid even writes up most of her IEP reports and stuff. I feel one of th biggest issues is the lack of structure. We have about 12 students with special needs with 9 out of the 12 falling somewhere on the spectrum, and I feel that they desperately need the structure. The whole routine really depends on what the teacher is feeling like doing that day. For example, the past few days the kids have had "free play" for like an hour in a half. Then when she decides its time to clean up she says clean up time with no 5 minute warning or anything. The kids sit in group in there chairs sometimes waiting for her to get it together for like 10 minutes. After 15 minutes or so of group we go outside for like an hour, then come inside for lunch, harness for the buss, and then they go home. I think this type of routine maybe could just be too much for the child who is constantly crying. I would like any suggesting that you guys have for helping this child. It is just really upsetting, since I desperately want to help him, but I really don't know what to do especially with a teacher who sees reading a book or engaging him in a game when crying comforting. Thanks in advance

Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Aficionado

USA
Honestly, it sounds like you've got some good ideas of things that need to change - it sounds like the challenge is how to go about encouraging the teacher to move in that direction. I'm guessing you've made some of your suggestions and she doesn't take them? Are there regular times when you all meet and go over strategies, progress, etc?
Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Rookie

Ca
Preschool Teacher
Thank you, EDED for responding, it is much appreciated. I have made many suggestions, but she basically ignores them and goes on with her business. We do not meet or go over strategies. We have actually went to our director to express some of our concerns about this teacher, and they are very aware of her laziness or lack of dedication. She actually leaves us alone with the kids out side for 45 minutes by ourselves while she gossips with some other co workers inside the class. She also is late daily which is really frustrating. The buses arrive at 8:15 and yesterday she didn't get to school until 8:25, so I and the other aid had to let parents in and get kids off the buss without her being there because she was late which isn't unusual. We are having a meeting this Wednesday with the director so maybe some of these issues can be addressed, but I do know that things need to change, not only for the staff, but for the well being of the kids.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Companion

Northeast
Primary Elementary Teacher
Wow. With that many kids who are on the spectrum, some order is definitely needed in your classroom. We use a five-point timer, a verbal reminder AND a song to signal clean up time alone.

With your crying child, I am wondering if an individual schedule and possibly some intermittant reinforcers might help? You could take a file folder and put velcro pictures of each part of the day (of course, you're going to need the teacher to commit to having a plan for the day.) If there is something that really motivates him, he could get that thing (like playing on the computer or something) after doing one or two tasks on the schedule. The schedule alone might make him feel more in control of the day, as he will see how long until going home, etc.

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, but kudos to you for trying to do your best for this little guy.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Rookie

Ca
Preschool Teacher
Thank You, Lovetoteachprek!!! I agree with everything you said. I really believe that this child needs a PEC schedule that is used consistently with him. We have one, but it is not used correctly and its kinda messy, so its not real effective. From the beginning, I have always thought this child would benefit from a schedule, and it has never happened because every time I suggest it she ignores me or says "we tried one it didn't work" when in fact she never tried one with him. I feel many of our kids would benefit from PEC and I truly believe it would reduce some of the meltdowns that we have in our class. All the kids we have are all have language delays, so I believe implementing a PEC schedule would be extremely beneficial. This is the last week of school, and sadly this little guy will be transitioning to kindergarten, and I really hope he has a teacher who will be more intune to his individual needs. I am going to make a suggestion to her on how to maybe use the PEC schedule more effectively even if I have to make it and be in charge of it. I just want these kids to have the best school experience as possible, and I don't feel that is happening right now. This little guy likes puzzles and anything involving letters & numbers, so I am going to try to add some structure as much as I can for the remaining of the year, and see if I can help him. Thanks for your response it helped a lot.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Aficionado

USA
Good luck with the meeting! Hopefully the director will listen.

Tags
child, crying