A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 05-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
High School English
Need Ideas for Demo Lesson!!!

I am incredibly stressed. I just found out today that I've made it to the last round of the application process to the school where I really want to teach next year. The PROBLEM: I have to teach a demo lesson this Wednesday to a group of 5-25 of their students whom I've never met. And I can't figure out what to teach! I have very little time and need to start planning but I can't settle on an idea

My instructions are to set an "ambitious" objective to teach in a 30-minute lesson and to clearly show that all students have achieved this objective. I must include a do now, direct instruction, guided practice, and independent practice in the lesson. My lesson must come from my area of teaching: English/Language Arts. The students will be a mix of students from 7th-9th grade who will also be giving their opinion of my lesson afterwards. These kids are predominantly inner city, African American (some Hispanic and Asian) kids. The school is known for dramatically raising test scores although most kids enter far below grade level.

So, any ideas about what to teach??? Also, they are looking for evidence of classroom management skills. Any suggestions for establishing this in such a short period of time??? Please help!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
It's been ages since I taught that young a group, so I'm afraid I'm not much help on the lesson, but for instant classroom management, why don't you check out Whole Brain Teaching? Just spending two minutes teaching the students to respond "yes" when you say "class" could set the tone nicely. I use this technique with my HS seniors. Tell them to say yes back to you the way you say class--vary the tone, do it sing-songy, say classy class and have them respond yessy yes--mix it up and keep it interesting for them.

Hopefully some of the MS teachers will weigh in with some lesson ideas! Good luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:17 AM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
High School English
Thanks for the classroom management advice: It just so happens I was also wondering about an attention-getter to use. Usually, I just tell my students I need their attention. How do students usually respond the first time you use this call-and-response technique with them? Are some unwilling to do it? Do they find it silly? How do you respond?

I'm leaning toward a lesson-plan idea finally. So, I'm calming down. Actually, working on it now while on my prep...
Old 05-24-2011, 07:20 AM
Comrade

USA
You have probably already thought of this but have them make name tags. "Johnny" is much more effective than "Hey you with the hair...."
Old 05-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
For class/yes, I lead with that the very first day of school: "I'm Mrs. K., and the first thing I'm going to teach you is that when I want your attention, I'll say Class, and you'll reply Yes. Let's try that. Class?...not bad, let's try it one more time: class?...Better! Now say it back the same way I say it..." It takes about two minutes and works well, at least at the beginning. They get a little tired of it by the end of the year!

Tags
demo, ideas, lesson