A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Why am I not excited and sad about my job offer?

Is it my subconscious saying that this job isn't right for me? I was offered a job as a part time homeschool teacher. I know my husband really wants me to get a full time, regular teaching job. So, I guess part of my worry is that he won't be happy. I suppose another worry is that I won't be earning very much money and it kind of stings since I have so many years under my belt.

If I choose not to take the job, I don't know what to tell the mom. She seemed so excited to have me on board.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Multitudinous

Texas
Peachy~I had that same feeling right after I accepted my current position. I think I made a mistake. Not to say that things would have worked out the way I might have hoped had I stayed, but I probably would have had a better chance at it.

You could always tell the mom that you have had time to think about it and have talked to your husband and that you both think it's in the best interest to continue looking for a full time position.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Thanks STG. The other thing is I spent so much time and money working on adding a science credential. I think I'm scared to work with secondary students, but at the same time, I spent so much time, money, and effort on this credential that if I take this job, that I will be throwing all of that work away.

But then, on the other hand, I do like the idea of working part time and with just two kids at a time.

I don't know....
Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 PM
Groupie

It is so hard to make these decisions. I know, I am in the same boat...looking for full-time work, yet wondering if that is right for my family, and should I keep subbing instead, etc.

I think you have to ask yourself if you would be happy in this job. It is still early in the season to be settling for something you don't really want. If you would honestly jump at a full-time offer, maybe you should consider looking some more. Good luck. I know sometimes it is really hard to figure these things out...you don't have a crystal ball to tell you what will happen.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Thanks Rainbowbird. I do like the idea of a part time job. I had the best part time job for two years at a school as a math resource teacher (had to quit because my husband got an amazing job offer far away). So, I was hoping to get another part time job. I thought I was paid pretty low at my last job, but it was doable. With this job, it's way, way, way low. Sigh.... I just don't like the idea of backing out. I haven't OFFICIALLY said yes, we are meeting again next week. I'm really thinking, though, of just calling the mom asap and letting her know that this isn't for me.

I just don't know. I'm afraid if I say no, that nothing else will come up and I will regret having said no.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Phenom

Midwest
Peachy... could you just let that mom know that you are interested, but are really trying to find a full time job. That way she knows & if she doesn't find someone/if you don't at least you'll have something to fall back on possibly.

I think if you backed out without her knowing up front that you are still actively looking she would be more upset.

It wouldn't be ideal, but at least you both know what is at risk.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Comrade

New England
High School English
I'm a huge believer in intuition and gut feelings. Sometimes our subconscious minds are aware of something our conscious minds have yet to recognize. If something doesn't feel right, don't do it. Sometimes, I will write down a question (or think it) if I'm really unsure about a decision and just meditate on it for a while and ask to be guided in the right direction. Ask yourself, should I take this job? Usually your first gut answer is the one to go with.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
StudentTeach, I have had to force myself to listen to my gut in the past few years. It typically is right.

Diznee, at my last interview, mom expressed that she was worried that I wouldn't be interested in the job since it was only part time. I told mom that I was only interested in part time. I think my worry comes from the fact that we have been struggling, financially, lately, and that I know my hubby would feel more comfortable if I pursued a full time job. I'm torn, at the moment, on what I want.

I feel lost. And sad. I'm still upset that I had to quit my last job to move to this new town with hubby. I loved my last job. It was part time at an actual school district and I taught math to elementary kids. I loved that job and I'm still upset at having to leave it. So, I guess I am just lost, sad, right now.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
Just to throw a different perspective out there- when I accepted my current job, I really thought I might be making a mistake. The only reason I took it was that it was late July, and in my home state teachers legally have to say whether they're coming back or not by June 10th so I knew there wouldn't be any new positions opening by then. The city I lived in was so flooded with unemployed teachers that they weren't even hiring subs. I was lifeguarding at a local Y at the time and the thought that I could have spent 4 years in college to get a degree to end up lifeguarding killed me. I was also worried about having references for the job hunt the next year since all my college ones would be a year old at that point. So I took the job even though I had a really bad feeling about it. It was 12,000 miles away. I didn't even really get to celebrate the fact that I got a job because all my friends and family were so upset that I was leaving. I would tell people I got a job and they would be excited, and then I would tell them where it was and they would say "Oh...I'm sorry." When I first got here, it seemed horrible. I was 100% sure I'd made a terrible decision. Believe it or not, it ended up being the best decision I've ever made. I LOVE this job. I have the best coworkers and students and even our admin is pretty good. I love my school. I would have never have guessed that going in.

How is the job market in your area? It is early in the hiring season...do you think you have a good chance of getting another job offer? I'd really take that into consideration- if you don't take this job and then don't get another offer, would you wish that you had taken this job?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
Peachy, it sounds like your gut feeling is moving you in one direction. Is there any way you could discuss the financial aspect of the job and just let the mom know that you are in a bind and really need more money? If she can't pay more, maybe you should continue the search.

Tags
excited, job, offer, sad