A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > New Teachers

Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 04:40 PM
Airborne Airborne is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
What states require only the Praxis to be Highly Qualified to teach a subject?

If I have a degree in Physical Education, I can become highly qualified to teach English or History in the state of Tennessee without having to obtain additional credit hours. All I have to do is pass the test.

Does anyone else know of any other states that does this as well? I've been searching all day and I've ruled out five states so far because they require additional programs or credit hours, as well as a test.

If anyone knows right off hand what their state requires for an endorsement, would you let me know. It would be nice if there was one website that explained all this. I'm just trying to figure out how to become more marketable for getting a job.
Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2011, 04:59 PM
schoolteacher's Avatar
schoolteacher schoolteacher is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 779
Elementary School Teacher
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 PM
DaveG's Avatar
DaveG DaveG is offline
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 239
Special Education Teacher
Being highly qualified is a NCLB (federal) requirement and most states don't use this as the primary determination of qualifications for teaching.

Most states require an endorsement on a teaching certificate to teach a specific subject. By the looks of what you're saying, if someone already has a teaching certificate, then they can just take the Praxis to be endorsed in another secondary subject?

That's not the case in Illinois.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Cerek's Avatar
Cerek Cerek is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,139
North Carolina
Middle School Math Teacher
NC is the same. I am certified in middle school math, but I only need to pass the Praxis II tests on content and pedagogy to become highly qualified in high school math as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure TN has reciprocity with NC,so your credentials should transfer. The same is true for GA as well.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Airborne Airborne is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
Ok an update for anyone else interested in this question:

Virginia and North Carolina both allow you to add an endorsement by only taking the Praxis II

Alabama allows you to add an endorsement via the praxis after you have taught there for two years.

West Virginia and KY both require you to compete an approved education program for the endorsement.

Virginia allows you two take 2 praxis test for middle school and teach any subject there.

There may be minor mistakes with some of these but I've been on the phone all day asking questions.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Airborne Airborne is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
Washington requires a educational program for an endorsment as well as does Vermont. The praxis alone wont work.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Airborne Airborne is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11

In addition, you need to complete the testing requirement (West-B and West-E), which is explained in the application packet. However, we would recommend you wait to register for any testing until we can tell you exactly which tests you need. You can receive a permit and teach in Washington for a year while you meet the testing requirement.
For additional endorsements, you would need a university program verification.


Kentucky does operate under the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement, meaning that if you have completed a state-approved out of state teaching program through a regionally accredited university or accredited alternative certification program…Kentucky will recognize that program of teacher certification. If you have 2 or more years of fully certified teaching experience as a lead teacher (teaching experience in the state where you hold the license), then you are also exempt from Kentucky’s testing and internship requirements.

In regards to your other question, Kentucky does not add additional areas of certification with passing Praxis scores in other content areas. We must have a university’s recommendation that you have completed program requirements in each area for which you hold certification. You would need to work with a college or university to complete a graduate program to add other areas of certification

Q: Will you accept me for a license via the NASDTEC agreement? I believe this is called reciprocity.

Tennessee has an Interstate Agreement with all states. (attachment #1)

Q: In your state, can I become endorsed to teach English, History, and Science by only passing the PRAXIS II test or do I need additional credits?

There is the possibility only after you have an endorsement on your license that covers 7-12 with Praxis testing.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Airborne Airborne is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11

First off, to be eligible for licensure you will have to have graduated from a teacher preparation course with an endorsement in a particular area that you want to be licensed in. You will not be eligible for reciprocity because you first have to have taught 3 years out of the last 7 on a non-conditional (not provisional or emergency) license. Otherwise you will have to meet our testing requirements to apply for initial licensure. To be eligible for the other endorsements you not only have to pass the Praxis testing but you must complete the required coursework for the specialty area.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Airborne Airborne is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
Would anyone like me to keep this updated as I find out more about the different states and adding endorsements?
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Airborne Airborne is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11
New Hampshire:

A little esoteric, and hard to understand how they do things. They do require the praxis 1 even if you have a degree and license.

To teach the following subjects you need these qualificaitons:
Enlgish Alternative 5 - 30 hours in the subject
Social Studies - Alternative 5 - 30 hours in the subject
Life Science - Alternative 4 - Only 2 courses in the subject
Reply With Quote

highly, praxis, qualified, require, states, subject, teach

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.