A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Special Education

Old 04-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Comrade

Making a child with autism wear a weighted vest all day.

I keep my mouth shut; I'm not a certified teacher yet.

I just want to know from a current SPED teacher's perspective.

I'm a para, and I have no problem with a weighted vest. The student I work with in the morning enjoys it, and when he wants it off I take it off (never leave it on for more than 20 minutes).

Well, in the last few days he hasn't been very receptive of it, so I stopped using it. The general ed teacher saw a former student of hers wearing one in the hall and said "so and so wears a vest all day, and look it's changed him." (I work with that student in the evening, he only wears it occasionally...but I kept my mouth shut.)

So today I'm in the room working and the SPED teacher comes in and says put the vest on him, and leave it on. My only second statement, though polite in nature, was he just keeps taking it off. To that she responded "keep putting it back on."

Keep in mind, no bad anything between us, and I always do as I'm told. But from what OT's have told me, and my VERY LIMITED SPED classes have told me so far, it should not be on for very long -- and only when and if the student wants it.

What are your opinions? (I'm not saying anything, again, this is just for my own exploration...so when I am a certified teacher I can make an informed decision.)

Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Habitué

Ohio
Special Education Teacher
I've always been told 20 minutes tops.

While I wouldn't force a child to put it on, I would encourage them to try it. Maybe a minute to start? (with a visual timer set---"Keep it on for one minute, then you may take it off")

By no means---unless OT has suddenly said something otherwise--would I keep a kiddo in a weighted vest all day.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
We have some students who wear a weighted vest most of the day, but this is usually with parent, OT, and doctor referrals. Most of my students with autism generally get by with many little breaks and no vest.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Aficionado

New Jersey, US
Looking for a job
I used to wear a weighted vest due to balance issues.

I'd wear it whenever we'd go out of the classroom, to help with my balance in the hallway.

Regarding your post, pretty much what everyone else said.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

NY of course!
The students that I have seen with weighted vest usually have a schedule such as 30 minutes on/30 minutes off (or something similar). I have never seen a student wear one for the entire day
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I have always been told 15 to 20 mins top.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Comrade

Thanks guys, I knew I had the right idea. (Again, I'm not saying anything. Just personal peace of mind.)
Old 04-13-2011, 07:38 PM
Fanatic

Illinois
According to our OT if they wear it for to long of a time period the kids get used to it and it no longer serves its purpose.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
I don't work in your school culture and I know this is not the best advice because it may be overstepping boundaries but in my school I would have gone to the OT, politely asked questions and gently suggest that the teacher be made aware of it. Of course I would act like the teacher is really great and just may not be aware of this one thing. You know your school best.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Companion

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoturtle View Post
According to our OT if they wear it for to long of a time period the kids get used to it and it no longer serves its purpose.
Correct. This is the reason that it's generally not advisable to use it for periods of any longer than 15-20 minutes. You simply adjust to wearing the vest and the sensory pressure is no longer a benefit.

Tags
autism, child, day, making, vest, wear, weighted