A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 03-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Newcomer

Preschool Teacher
Used Classroom Supplies?

I was hoping someone here would know if there are any websites where teachers or schools trade/donate used classroom supplies and decorations. Also, if any of you know of a great way to locate donations besides asking the local schools and posting on Craigs List that would be very helpful.

I am starting a PreK School since I have not been able to find a new teaching job. All my savings are going to building rent. I am making a lot of my own things but there is only so much that I can do.

Are there websites for this? It seems like there should be.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Phenom

Northern CA
5th Grade
I have a site called SproutClassrooms.com. We sell used classroom materials. While not free, they are about 50-90% off retail prices. I'm listing new items every day-we still have thousands of items to get listed in the next few months. I purchase from local retiring teachers, and all items are in great condition. Happy hunting!

www.sproutclassrooms.com
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

7th Grade Special Education
sprout is awesommmmme!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Phenom

Northern CA
5th Grade
Aw, thanks, FourSquare!! We just had a two-school pick-up on Friday and the items are BEAUTIFUL! And brand new. I can't WAIT to get them listed. And then get them into your classrooms!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
Try Goodwill or other second hand stores. I have furnished several programs from Goodwill buys.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Cohort

Florida
Kindergarten Teacher
Our local teacher organization holds a new teacher "Flea Market" during the summer. They ask for donations from businesses and get things from retiring teachers. New teachers can come and take what they want. You might want to check with your local group and see if they have anything similar.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Companion

Jem - what a great idea! I will definitely visit and tell others to boost your traffic.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Check public libraries for used book sales. You can often find gently used books for just a few dollars per BAGFUL...and pay NO SHIPPING!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Companion

West Coast
High School Teacher
I like the library book sales and yard sales for books.
Craigslist gives me a good heads up on the yard sales that will have good teacher schwag (Is that a word?).
I have found that a lot of people will give the stuff if is school oriented if they know I am a teacher, and sometimes they advertise to that effect. Lots of teachers around here have used Craigslist and yard sales to purge their stuff when they retire.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper View Post
I like the library book sales and yard sales for books.
Craigslist gives me a good heads up on the yard sales that will have good teacher schwag (Is that a word?).
I have found that a lot of people will give the stuff if is school oriented if they know I am a teacher, and sometimes they advertise to that effect. Lots of teachers around here have used Craigslist and yard sales to purge their stuff when they retire.
It's SWAG...for 'stuff we all get' originally meant the freebies that celebrities and the hoi polloi get at social functions...

Tags
classroom, supplies