A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 09-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
Letter Reversals

Hey everybody!! I am teaching third grade for the first time and I have a couple of kids who keep reversing their bs and ds or their numbers. I just wanted to know if this is normal for third grade. I know it is normal for younger grades, but I never heard of this in third grade.

Old 09-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Comrade

Wisconsin
2nd Grade Teacher
Last year I had a few kids who did that. I'm not sure if it is normal or not, but it seemed like most of them finally got the letters figured out by the end of the year.

I have a few kids this year that have the same problem. One of my major ones is in spec. ed. I got a letter/number chart things for his desk (about 4" x 5") and it seems to be helping...sometimes I just have to remind him to check his writing with his chart.

I have heard that some teachers have explained the b's and the d's using the word bed. I'm not sure exactly how the saying goes, but I think the left part of the b and the right line in the d are the posts of the bed?? Or something like that. Somebody out there might remember the saying better than I do.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:06 PM
Novice

reversal tricks

I teach 3rd grade as well and have trouble at the beginning of the year but they seem to get it by January. The trick I use is I draw a picture of a baseball bat, and then a ball. You need a bat then the ball put them together and you get a shape like a b. I work with that for a while then after a month i show them the trick for d. Draw a drum then a drum stick. You need a drum first then a drum stick to form a d.
Hope that helps!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:16 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
You'll get a few in 3rd. Once you start cursive it clears up- I haven't seen anyone write backwards cursive yet!!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Comrade

Wisconsin
2nd Grade Teacher
Haha! I think I would be very impressed with backward cursive!!
Old 09-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Cohort

US
For b I use the phrase pull your pencil down, make a belly in the grass and stop. Goofy but it works!
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Newcomer

Texas
I have a 3rd grade son who STILL reverses his letters. His cursive is beautiful, and all the right way, I might add. I think for him it has to do with immaturity. He is very small for his age. Hopefully it will all come around by the 2nd semester.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Novice

6 Doesn't Mix

One of the best techniques I've found for correcting digit reversals was in an article in Academic Therapy.
I got written premission form the publishers to use it in my k-3 book, Little Lemon, and on my website. Pictures are involved so I can't explain it well here. Take a look at 6 Doesn't Mix, Self-correction of Digit Reversals .

There are a several things on my site about letter reversals also.

Betsy
Learning Abilities Books

Last edited by LABooks; 07-18-2013 at 12:46 PM. Reason: New URL

Tags
letter, reversals