A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 09-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Companion

New York
Yearbook ideas

I want to do yearbooks w/ my children this year. I've already stamped their hands, I would also like to record their height, weight, have them draw a picture, and then at the end of the year I would like to do all of this again so the kids and parents can see how they've progressed during the year. How should I record their height and weight in the yearbook? I'd like to include some sort of picture on the pages with the above mentioned things... Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!!

Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Rookie

Prince Edward Island, Canada
You could start the book of with a picture of them at the first of the year, then end it with a picture when the year is done.

For recording their height you could include a tree, and for weight you could include a scale.

Just a tip, when doing something like a "yearbook", think of what the children like as individuals, then it will mean something more to them and the child as the family grows.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Rookie

Missouri
Last year a teacher on my team made time capsules with her students. She used string to measure each of the students heights, the students them put their string in their capsule. At the end of the year she measured them again with a different piece of string. The kids loved being able to compare the two pieces of string and actually see how much they grew. I don't know how but maybe you could somehow incorporate the string into your yearbook!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:48 PM
Cohort

US
There is a thread on here about the string idea. I also do a time capsule and the kids fill out a from about their likes and dislikes. Favorite and least favorite T.V. programs, books, foods, school subjects, things to do at home, season, what they want to be when they grow up, etc. I also ask them to explain why. It is so much fun to have them to measure the string in the spring and fill out the questionnaire again. We read each one aloud on the last day of school and they have such a good time comparing what they thought in September to what they think at the end of May. A funny story--One boy had written that he wanted to be a dog when he grew up and when he read that in the Spring he said I was little then and thought I could be anything! I have never saw a kid laugh so hard!
Old 09-10-2005, 07:36 AM

Florida
Have them draw pictures of themselves with you, pictures of the school. Ask each student what his favorite book of the year was and take a picture of each child holding it and standing in front of your bookshelves.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Rookie

Illinois
Just like jcg, I've gotten hilarious responses to some questions so I decided to take it a step further. Our yearbook is given out around Mother's Day, so we also included some of the same questions and called it Mommy Fact or Fiction? Favorite TV shows, foods, special names mom has for child/dad, how much does mom weigh, color of her hair, what does she do for fun? The answers were far fetched and hilarious. I also take pictures all year long, usually about 4 per child, and they 'scrapbook' 2 pages with special scissors, stickers, stencils. I have the 4's draw a picture of themselves each season for the yearbook. There is such a huge difference from fall to spring in their abilities. I also include a thumprint or handprint. I love Upsadaisy's idea of taking a picture of them holding their favorite book.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Rookie

New York
Last year for my graduating preschoolers a few of the girls and I made year books for them. I had taken photos through out the year of different things that we did and at the end of the year we all scrapbooked a few pages, copied it on a color copier and put it togethewr in a foolders that i had embossed the school name on along with the year.

Tags
ideas, yearbook