A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 09-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Novice

northwest ohio
morning meeting quick activities

does anyone have any short, fun activities to do during a morning meeting. they can be academic or just as an energizer for the day. i do the meeting with 4 parts: greeting, sharing, activity, news and announcements. we've done songs and some get to know you activities but i'm starting to run low on ideas.

thanks!

Old 09-05-2005, 04:23 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
Post a picture of "Person of the day" someone from history, current events, politics, etc.. and give some clues about that person. Students name the person and write a couple sentences about the person, or what their significance is. President of the United States... Sometimes place of the day.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
meeting activity!

I teach kindergarten and one of the activities I do every monday morning is a question of the week. We have a bulletin board with all the kids pictures and we post a question (my favorite color is.... why is the sky blue?, etc... and we post the children's answers next to their picture. The parents LOVE reading their kids answers, it's quite amusing at times!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
teacher99--that is such a cute idea! I can imagine that the parents (and other teachers) absolutely love reading the board!
Old 09-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
Thanks, it is something I started back when I had my 3 year olds and have done it ever since, a very popular idea!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
teacher 99,
that is an adorable idea. Do you post that in the hallway or in your classroom? What other questions have you used? Could you share some of those? Love that idea!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Retired Preschool Teacher
I have a question about your idea. When you ask them the question, do you do it one on one or as a group and each has a turn? Whenever I ask my kids a question, they repeat what the one ahead of them said...or just sit there.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:43 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
I thought of that same thing, grammy.lol! I was thinking I could ask them one on one when they come in in the morning, and just record what they say. I always have arrival activities, and could ask them at my table during this time as well. That way, no copying, and they have to think for themselves. Of course, my kids are older, so may be able to pull answers easier.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Retired Preschool Teacher
That's what I try to do, is one on one. Then there is always one child who says something way off the wall...like if you ask why is the sky blue, he will reply I drank juice yesterday...LOL
Old 09-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Aficionado

Kindergarten Teacher
LOL! Well, the parents would get a good laugh at that one, should you post it. I have never done that before, so I'll be interested in seeing the answers I get. Grammy, would you post that answer? Or, what do you do?

Tags
activities, meeting, morning, quick