A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Second Grade

Old 01-23-2011, 04:07 PM
Rookie

Texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
Thumbs up "The Next Step in Guided Reading" BRILLIANT!

A couple of months ago, a few someones here suggested Jan Richardson's book, "The Next Step in Guided Reading". I asked a couple of questions about it, and then bought the book on Amazon. It lay here in my house for at least a month, I guess because I figured it would be like all the other books I've tried to read and implement in the past. Well, I finally picked it up and read it last weekend.

OMG! This is the best book I have ever read on Guided Reading! It offers components for me to build a prescription for each lesson that includes reading, sight words (when needed), word study, and guided writing and I LOVE IT!

I am the kind of person who needs a lot of DETAIL to understand how to implement my instructional framework. So many people have tried to help me in my district, but this book has succeeded in spelling out everything in a way I can understand (I am so not an intuitive person).

If anyone is new to teaching guided reading, this is such a wonderful book. Even though I am in my 4th year teaching, I always felt that I wasn't doing as much as I should during my small groups. Reading books and helping kids figure out the hard words was about the extent of my lessons. Now I feel so empowered!

I just HAD to share!!!

Old 01-26-2011, 05:24 AM
Habitué

Virginia
2nd Grade Teacher
I love Jan! We are lucky enough that she comes to our county and does workshops a couple times of year. We always describe her as a "whirlwind" because she goes over things so quickly, but she is awesome. It's really cool to watch her do a reading lesson with kids because one of our biggest hang ups is always the time management aspect (how does she get it all done in 20 minutes?!), but she does. And with a lot of practice, you do too! We have seen a huge improvement in students' reading since we started using her plans.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:33 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
What age level is this geared at? I am thinking this is something I want to read...but I'm in the higher end of elementary.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Rookie

Texas
The book says it goes from K-8, so I assume you'd get some good use from it. However, the lessons for levels above P aren't as "juicy" as those up through Level P. If you have struggling readers, however, I think it would be really great. There's a whole section devoted to "fluent" readers, and I use those lessons with my 2nd graders who are reading on 4th grade level. Now I feel like I'm doing something with those higher kids as well as my strugglers. I also love the first section on preparing for guided reading as it gives great ideas on constructing a reader's response notebook that I believe would work for kids up through high school with very little tweaking. I know there is some information in the book used for 5th grade, too.... so I think it would be worth it.

Just my two cents, but I have never taught anything above 2nd grade.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Thanks! I often get books like this and then find that they just don't work in sixth grade. I think that I'll check this one out. Maybe over spring break when I have some down time again!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Companion

Maryland
2nd Grade Teacher
I agree! If you (anyone!) only get one book on small groups, this is the one! Very practical tips, and very easy to understand. The nice thing is that you can almost use it to structure every small group lesson, or just lessons here and there to target specific skills/groups. Can I give this more than 2 thumbs up?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Devotee

United States
It really is a great book!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
perfect!

Well yea! I just ordered mine off amazon for 14 dollars!! Super cheap, so I can't wait to get it here and begin reading it!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Okay, looks like I need to add this to my list.... I'm excited. Thanks for letting us know about it.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Okay, is it: "The Next Step in Guided Reading: Focused Assessments and Targeted Lessons for Helping Every Student Become a Better Reader".

I am pretty sure that's it, but I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Tags
brilliant